Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see how everyone's Vizsla drinks water. Riggs will walk away from the dish and water will steam out of his jowls for like 5 seconds. The messiest drinker I've ever seen; I'm constantly wiping up water from the kitchen floor. Is this common or is my 6 month pup not figuring out how to drink water properly?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have the same issue with my 10 wk old. Water always dripping from her month. I just assumed it was a puppy thing

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No kidding here, but I just witnessed Riggs drinking water and he started to lick his mouth upon drawing away from the bowl to catch some of the escaping water. This is the first time I've ever seen him do that. He did it twice out of 4 sips so looks like he's on the right path.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maple and Amber are the same way. Hate to say they are 9 months and 1 year 3 months. If anyone finds some way to make the dripping stop please share.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 8 month old, specially after returning from excersice, he will lap up some water, then walk around dripping water all over the floor as well!
My hubby likes to stick around with a towell in hand to wipe the excess off :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Foxie is a gentle licker drinker and Vino the pup is a dunker... if you call his name while he is drinking he looks up and just water pours from his mouth... its really funny

·
Registered
794 Posts
Riggins-
Our V pup Pumpkin is also 6m, and a VERY messy drinker! Has been from day one with no sign of improvement. She leaves pools of water beside the bowl with a water trail that extends from her mouth to wherever she is going. 1/2 of the water P takes in ends up on the floor. I'm constantly wiping up water or someone is changing their socks ::)

·
Registered
202 Posts
hate to say it but it doesn't get any better :( Scoobys a messy drinker he flicks it up and out of his bowl whilst drinking and dribbles it every where, never without a big supply of kitchen rolls ! ;D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Axel drinks his water so fast that he has puked it up, or constantanly gets hiccups. I now have to give him signals such as "slow down", or physically stop him for a minute, so he doesn't just inhale his water.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha, well it sounds like this is a Vizsla thing. Very funny stories from all of you; I too follow Riggs with a paper towel while drinking or try to hold his head over the bowl so the excess drips back to the bowl. Raps702 - Riggs will puke from drinking so much so fast too; I call his name now when he's really lapping it up to throw off his water focus, this has helped dramatically.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Grace is 8 weeks only got her yesterday but already leaving her water trails after drinks ;D we also have our Weim Storm & he has always done the same (19m now) I think it's their soft 'hunting' shape mouths.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Mischa's a little over a year and drips puddles too. She's simply too busy with her ADD to stand over a bowl until the water's done dripping. :p

·
Registered
436 Posts
Holley is 8 months and is also a very messy drinker. I am constantly wiping the kitchen floor. She also does the "look up when name called and drop all the water from her mouth" routine. It is funny but then I go back to cleaning. Haha.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry to say, but I don't think it's just a puppy thing. Snickers will be 3 in a few months. He has more "jowels" than normal and with more water to hold. He drinks like a camel and drips like a leaky faucet. His brother, Peanut isn't as drippy, but I find myself wiping water off the floors.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Scout is horrible for this. Its as if he takes the last slurp of water, holds and then just lets it all drop out onto the floor. I've given up on trying to clean it up and my poor kids go through a few pairs of socks a day walking through his watery mess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts