Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Milo, 8wks, Vizsla
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just brought home our 8wk old Vizsla puppy, Milo. Everything seems to be going great with him so far, except I’m worried about how little he eats. He’s pretty calm but does love to play, especially with my 10 & 12 year old boys. He gets excited with them and starts nipping like they were his litter mates, so we’re working on that. He’s very calm and cuddly with me though. He even takes himself to his crate for naps, so crate training is going very well.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Wood

Shorts Dog Plant People in nature Carnivore

Smile Face Jeans Shorts Plant

Pet supply Mesh Fawn Gas Terrestrial animal

He’s definitely on the skinny side, and I’m worried he’s lost a little weight in the past two days since we brought him home. We’re continuing the raw food diet like his breeder did, but I have to really encourage him to eat, often getting him started with hand feeding or sitting next to him. He loves freeze dried liver treats and salmon oil on his food. Right now he’s mostly eating minced chicken breast, ground Turkey, an occasional chicken leg, broccoli, a little carrots, a little rice, and white cheese. Not all together of course. He only will eat the ground Turkey if I cook it a bit and add some butter. I’m also adding probiotics and his supplements should arrive today. Does he look too skinny?

·
Administrator
9,377 Posts
He looks like most Vizsla puppies. Also not uncommon for them, to not want to slow down enough to eat a full meal. Nothing wrong with trying to entice him, by hand feeding. You can also try to feed in his crate, that way he has less other things taking his attention away from food. I just offer them multiple meals a day. Eventually they settle in, and start to eat more.

Reactions: Gabica

·
Registered
Milo, 8wks, Vizsla
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He looks like most Vizsla puppies. Also not uncommon for them, to not want to slow down enough to eat a full meal. Nothing wrong with trying to entice him, by hand feeding. You can also try to feed in his crate, that way he has less other things taking his attention away from food. I just offer them multiple meals a day. Eventually they settle in, and start to eat more.
Thank you for the reassurance! He does seem to have healthy behavior, good digestion, and is often playful. He has a calm disposition compared to most of his litter, which I’m grateful for, because I know they can be a very energetic breed. I’m sure he’s still getting used to having a new family and home too.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Look at those paws!!! He’s going to be a big boy, if he grows into those paws. He’s also very well put together. He’s beautiful.
He’s not skinny. His shoulders and flanks are filled in nicely. No poverty lines on his rump, and his top line isn’t showing vertebrae. He will show ribs for the next two years. Once he reaches full adulthood his ribcage will get a layer over them, but should be felt easily.
Vizslas are” lungs on legs”. They’re not supposed to be heavy bodied.
Vizslas can also be very picky eaters. Find what works for you, and don’t dogmatically stick to a program.
If he needs something “special” added to his bowl to get his face in it, so be it.They have to eat to grow, that’s the most important thing. The diet can get straightened out once they get some size to them. Finn loves mashed potatoes, he ate a lot of mashed potatoes, and ice cream,as a puppy. Now only rarely.
A nice big yard, two young boys to play with, he’s got a good life ahead of him.

·
Registered
Milo, 8wks, Vizsla
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at those paws!!! He’s going to be a big boy, if he grows into those paws. He’s also very well put together. He’s beautiful.
He’s not skinny. His shoulders and flanks are filled in nicely. No poverty lines on his rump, and his top line isn’t showing vertebrae. He will show ribs for the next two years. Once he reaches full adulthood his ribcage will get a layer over them, but should be felt easily.
Vizslas are” lungs on legs”. They’re not supposed to be heavy bodied.
Vizslas can also be very picky eaters. Find what works for you, and don’t dogmatically stick to a program.
If he needs something “special” added to his bowl to get his face in it, so be it.They have to eat to grow, that’s the most important thing. The diet can get straightened out once they get some size to them. Finn loves mashed potatoes, he ate a lot of mashed potatoes, and ice cream,as a puppy. Now only rarely.
A nice big yard, two young boys to play with, he’s got a good life ahead of him.
Thank you, Gunnr! He does have huge paws! He’s smaller than most of the litter though, so it will be interesting to see how big he ends up being. He loves rice and butter, and if I add that to his food, he eats a lot more of it. Yesterday and this morning he ate quite well, so maybe I was worried over nothing. He might have just needed a little time to settle in.😊

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Finn got butter also. Sometimes he still does. A pat of salt free butter, drizzled over the food won’t hurt them.
I had a Vet once tell me that rice helps settle a dogs stomach.I don’t know if it’s true, but most dogs seem to like warm rice on their food.
Finn only weighed 9 lbs. when I got him at 8 weeks old. I think he gained only about 3 lbs the first month. Now he’s right at about 55lbs. And 24” to the withers. (He actually needs to lose 2-3 lbs. before hunting season.)
Your boy will fill out and grow. I Promise. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts