Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rusty turned 14 in October. February he was still happy and lively but started losing muscle. This seemed like normal late life condition to the vet. 3 months later He kept losing weight, strength, had trouble walking/standing up and appetite waned so I took him back for tests. All organ function was good. I got him some ibuprofen to help and it did. Last week his belly starting feeling firm. Took to E Vet , got X-rays that showed huge mass in abdomen. I thought he had some blockage but the X-rays showed a huge mass pushing his stomach forward and intestines off to the side. I lost him 2 days later 7/16/22. I’m devastated. I feel some guilt for not figuring it out in time. Maybe too late anyway.
I’d long since forgotten but ten years ago a guy told me that his Vizsla died at 8 from a mass in abdomen and to look out. Now I’m wondering if this is something prevalent with Vizslas or just an unfortunate dog thing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He had gotten sensitive to me grabbing underneath near his belly to move him just before I took him back to vet in may. He had Started snapping. He was ok with gentle belly rubs otherwise. Since then though those Vizsla eyes that tell you what’s going on said scared and that is haunting me now

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a nice thought, I hope so! He was relatively healthy through life but had two lipomas removed and an incident with a jellyfish 7years ago. I was sure he was going to make it to a 16th birthday

1 - 4 of 4 Posts