Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My V is 20 months old male, not fixed. Over the last few months he has developed a habit of what I think is 'marking territory' by pooping. To be clear, inside our fenced yard he is completely normal, maybe 1 or 2 good solid poops per day. But when out and about where other dogs have been he will mark with pee everywhere (normal), but also raise his leg as if to pee but visibly force out small amounts of near liquid poop. This is after he has already done his normal solid business.

He only does it along other fences or areas frequented by other dogs which makes me pretty sure it is a marking behavior, and rather gross. For example at home he will poop 1 or 2 times a day normal solid poop, but at a dog park will run around and poop 10 times in little liquid increments.

Am I right in trying to stop or be concerned with this behavior? I don't think it is a digestive problem as he can be normal at other times, all while having the same diet. Anybody have experience with this or suggestions?

Thanks,
Nate

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The behavior is normal. Male dogs mark like this. It is annoying,but all of mine have. They do kind of decrease the behavior over time, but that would probably be specific to each dog. I had one male, Boone, that tried to get it as high off the ground as possible. He'd mark the tops of concrete barriers, logs, stumps. Used to drive me nuts.
I don't remember the girls doing it though.

·
Administrator
8,178 Posts
Exercise, and excitement can cause temporary loose stools. This might be what you're seeing at the dog park.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Usually with my dogs I don’t let them mark or pee until I’ve found a spot for them to be a dog. Until then we just walk, nothing else, their job is to be politely next to me. No sniffing, no peeing, no pooping, and definitely o fixating on stuff. When I find a spot, I give a release command and they can do what they want. It’s YOUR walk. Also if he is doing that on concrete, big yikes lol. Yuck. It sounds a bit harsh and maybe it is, but I corrected my dog for trying to poop on the concrete (uh uh-leash pop). Never had to again. I pick where we do those things. Keeps them from having to worry about it. I’m assuming your dog feels some stress from seeing other dogs, feels he has to mark, and does so. Relieve him of that stress by taking charge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

My V is 20 months old male, not fixed. Over the last few months he has developed a habit of what I think is 'marking territory' by pooping. To be clear, inside our fenced yard he is completely normal, maybe 1 or 2 good solid poops per day. But when out and about where other dogs have been he will mark with pee everywhere (normal), but also raise his leg as if to pee but visibly force out small amounts of near liquid poop. This is after he has already done his normal solid business.

He only does it along other fences or areas frequented by other dogs which makes me pretty sure it is a marking behavior, and rather gross. For example at home he will poop 1 or 2 times a day normal solid poop, but at a dog park will run around and poop 10 times in little liquid increments.

Am I right in trying to stop or be concerned with this behavior? I don't think it is a digestive problem as he can be normal at other times, all while having the same diet. Anybody have experience with this or suggestions?

Thanks,
Nate

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Nate, I posted a very similar problem a few months ago titled “Severe irritable bowel only away from home”. My uncut male “Rocket”, is 4 1/2 years old. He is perfectly normal when home. He has very normal stools 2 or 3x a day. The problems begin whenever he leaves home. Walks are a disaster. He squats at least 15-25x in a 30 minute walk. Eventually he has clear liquid. He does prefer to find a bush or rock or something but many times he just stops in the middle of the street. If off leash at the beach he wanders and squats everywhere. He has gotten to the point where he hurts himself and bleeds a little.

I have spoken to a few vets and they have no experience with this and have not been of help. Nobody understands the amount of times that he goes. The vets and people on this form think ... maybe 3 or 4x and it is not a big deal, but I am completely serious when I say that he squats and goes 15-20-25x. It is endless. I have asked if having him fixed might solve the problem, but vets and breeders have said that they don’t know.

A holistic feeding approach was suggested and dietary changes, but this problem appears to be innate behavior. He has no control almost. Again, he will be perfectly normal at home. His problem has actually gotten worse the last few years.

I will keep you in mind as I have continued to research and speak with breeders. Please do the same and maybe we can figure this out.Mine is an incredible dog in every other way. I am sure yours is also.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Randy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts