Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

Little Red Visitor

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  texasred 
#1 ·
Meet Moonie
I’ve been doing a puppy class with her, and she gets to hang out at my house for a week. Going to miss her, when she goes back home.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Liver Working animal
Dog Liver Collar Carnivore Dog breed
Nose Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Working animal

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you so much for coming out, and helping with her bird intro.

• Love
Reactions: Gabica
#6 ·
It’s just that the owner lives a hour away. Easier for me to get her during the puppy class, and return her at the next puppy class.
Outcome
First bird she was not wanting to interact with in the field. It was a pigeon. So I put the pigeon up and brought out a quail. She was still unsure of the quail, so I pull out flight feathers and put it on the ground. It running brought out the drive in her. She chased, pounced, and even tried to pick it up. Just let her have fun, and figure out on her own she has power over the bird. Next quail put out for her had flight feathers. Not a real point, but a short pause before the pounce. She was having fun and loving it. It’s hot in Texas so we stopped there. That evening I brought out a pigeon in a harness. We to the other part of the yard than she was playing. I could put the bird on the ground, let it fly but not lose it. In no time she came running over and trying to catch it. I have a leash on the bird harness, so I can keep her from catching it. Next I put a pigeon to sleep. When she gets close to it. I can easily flush the bird. She gives chase, but can not catch it.
so out come is she went from being nervous of the birds. To being very bold with them. As long as she is unable to catch birds, she should start pointing them.

#7 ·
Nice , similar to the early training that Ellie was exposed to. Pigeons , then flightless quail. She even brought the quail back to me. Now I just need to work on her being gun shy.

Very cool that you provide that service. Not everyone including me has access to birds. It’s my biggest challenge being a suburbian not able to have a quail setup.

#8 ·
It’s just something I’m willing to do for good friends, and family. I don’t charge them for it. It’s fun playing with the puppies in the field. She would need a lot more birds, before ever considering intro to gunfire.

#13 ·
I use check cords that don’t easily snag, and open fields. The one today, was long and heavier than most of my others. It was used to slow her down a little.
I don’t use harnesses, I don’t even own one. I use a half hitch if needed, but she to young for that. It’s just about making birds fun for them at this age. Waking up those birddog genes, and doing what comes naturally to them.

Reactions: Dan_A
#14 ·
Moonie went home a week after the post.
Flip joined me last week to play baby birddog games.
A few pictures of her having fun. I haven’t been able to get good pics of her pointing, because you only have a second before she tries to leap in. I was able to advance her to bird launchers, so she might start pointing for a little longer.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Jaw

Sky Cloud Plant Plant community Dog

Plant Dog Sky Dog breed Land lot

Sky Plant Cloud Plant community Ecoregion

Dog Dog supply Dog breed Collar Pet supply

Plant Dog Natural landscape Tree Carnivore

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.