Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

My V is 12 weeks old now and I need some advise on what might be causing him to have soft poop.

Everytime he poops it first comes out and it is great! I know is poop ever great but please. Nice and firm and dark brown. What happens is he continues to poop and then it goes all soft.

He is eating arden grange and I am confused as to whether it is the food or something else. Not sure why it always comes out as good poop and then seems to go into soft stuff.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Evaluate the type and quanity of treats you are giving between meals. The treat bars that are made to stuff in Kongs did that to Savannah. So will too much peanut butter.

If the treats are the problem, prevention is fairly simple, but will take some experimentation. We eliminated the Kong bars and stuff her Kong with other things. Peanut butter is limited to no more than half a teaspoon between meals (typically smaller quantities frozen in an ice cube). Natural Balance makes some venison and sweet potato treats that she loves. I usually give her half of one as a treat.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
It is OK. We had the same happen. I think it has to do with how long the poop stays in the colon.
Their digestive system is not fully developed yet. We used some Metamucil mixed with his watered kibble.

At 12 weeks it coincides with 2nd puppy shot and it may affect it too. We were given Revolution (dewormer) by Physer and caused terrible runny stools.

Our V (now 5 months old) is always crated when we cannot supervise at least 80%.
I also bought a small, flat garden shovel and place it under his bum whenever he poops, that way I was able to keep a clean lawn. I also spray water from the garden hose anywhere he pees. If diluted enough, pee is an excellent fertilizer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts