Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Finn out yesterday and witnessed probably one of the worst examples of over correction I’ve seen in years.
In Connecticut, Pheasants are “ stocked”, and as I was coming back to the truck with Finn, I watched the DEP truck release Pheasants in the fields. I knew exactly where those birds could be picked up.
I held Finn in place, as we had already got our limit. Once the truck went by, I watched 3 guys, with 3 dogs, hit that field not knowing birds had just been released.
All those guys did was yell at those dogs nonstop corrections. They walked the length of that field, and those dogs never picked up on any of those pheasants. Not one. They were so distracted listening to all of the yelling, and commands given, that they shut down. Those guys were loud. Wow! Had they said nothing to those dogs, they probably would have taken 4 pheasants. They got 0.
It rare that I talk to Finn while we’re hunting. He knows his job, and I know mine. I’ll move him away from other hunt parties, but rarely do I tell Finn where, or how, to hunt. That’s his job.
Let your poochies think for themselves.
Have fun today.
No yelling.😉

· Registered
92 Posts
I had Finn out yesterday and witnessed probably one of the worst examples of over correction I’ve seen in years.
In Connecticut, Pheasants are “ stocked”, and as I was coming back to the truck with Finn, I watched the DEP truck release Pheasants in the fields. I knew exactly where those birds could be picked up.
I held Finn in place, as we had already got our limit. Once the truck went by, I watched 3 guys, with 3 dogs, hit that field not knowing birds had just been released.
All those guys did was yell at those dogs nonstop corrections. They walked the length of that field, and those dogs never picked up on any of those pheasants. Not one. They were so distracted listening to all of the yelling, and commands given, that they shut down. Those guys were loud. Wow! Had they said nothing to those dogs, they probably would have taken 4 pheasants. They got 0.
It rare that I talk to Finn while we’re hunting. He knows his job, and I know mine. I’ll move him away from other hunt parties, but rarely do I tell Finn where, or how, to hunt. That’s his job.
Let your poochies think for themselves.
Have fun today.
No yelling.😉
reminds me of some parents who yell instructions to their kids non stop during kids team sports games … let the kid play & think for himself on the field … sorry, nothing to do with dogs but there are so many parallels I see in the human world , this came to mind.

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
I can’t see how it can be fun for anyone, if someone is constantly hacking on a dog. I let someone bring their dog out on a goose hunt. Low, and behold their dog could not even shift it’s weight without getting a loud firm correction. Worse part was their dog had the same name as mine. It was so bad, my dog started getting down. I finally just walked Cash back to the suburban. I was done, my dog was done, and I never hunt with him again.

Reactions: Mrs M

· Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rchik43
Oh-No, those parallels can absolutely be drawn.

Texas Red
A long time ago I was hunting with my dog Boone.
I had used whistle commands with Boone as part of training, and intended to use them hunting. On one of our first hunts together, there was a person with a dog named "Misty". All I heard for the next two to three hours, incessantly, was "MIsty", followed by that whistle. It was really annoying. When we got home, that was the end of a whistle around my neck. Other than the bell around Finn's neck, we don't really make much noise together.
I probably would have left given the scenario you detailed. Hunting is suppossed to be fun.

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
@gunnr
It was our lease, and the guy could not be out there without us. If I wasn’t doing a favor for someone else by letting him come, things would have been handled differently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts