Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Peanut loves eating grass. And I know that’s what dogs do and I guess I should be ok with that.

But the strange thing is, he absolutely loves dead grass, he pulls out big chunks with a lot of soil stuck to them, and just munches on them. His mouth is black and full of soil.

I suspect it’s more about biting and chewing rather than the grass itself, but has anyone come across such behaviour?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Aly eats more grass than any dog I've ever had. Green, brown, 1/2 fermented, live or dead. Doesn't matter. When she does, I ask her if she's "eating salad" again. :p

Ohhh... and apparently the organic topsoil I got this year is mighty tasty!! She'll walk by a flower bed and just take a mouthful. LOL

I'm guessing, it's all pretty normal for a vizsla.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Liver Working animal

·
Administrator
9,229 Posts
Mine like the soft tender winter grass. They will graze like cows. There is also some type of tiny roots that they like too. They will dig, then eat the root. It has to be the roots of some type grass or weed root. It’s very small, and I don’t really have trees in the backyard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aly eats more grass than any dog I've ever had. Green, brown, 1/2 fermented, live or dead. Doesn't matter. When she does, I ask her if she's "eating salad" again. :p

Ohhh... and apparently the organic topsoil I got this year is mighty tasty!! She'll walk by a flower bed and just take a mouthful. LOL

I'm guessing, it's all pretty normal for a vizsla.

View attachment 104519
OMG, that face! Mine looks like that too.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
we love all sorts of greens, grass grazing is regular activity, but there are certain other vegetation elements which taste yummy, like the Chinese fringe (Loropetalum) bushes are high on our list too. I leave them pretty tall behind the pool wall in the summer and when the boys disappear in the backyard, high chances are that they are hiding in the bushes hunting lizards and snacking on the leaves. they also like to just take a bite out of them when they are running around chasing each other.
we used to have banana plants, but last summer I removed them as their sweet leaves became addictive to a level that the long fibers would get stuck in their butts when trying to poop, making mom to remove (pull) them out from their butts (yeaahhh, the grossness of being a dog parent), but also it made me worried that somehow they would wrap around the intestinal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts