Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like some thoughts regarding lead free dog parks.

We take our Vizsla Hannah to our local dog park, and have two things that trouble us each time.

1. Those who do not show any regard for thier dogs interaction with other dogs/people!
2. Small children running loose.

Some time the two have the same adults in charge.

Would appreciate thoughts from both sides.

·
Administrator
4,215 Posts
I'd have thought that if it was a designated "dog off lead" area then there really shouldn't be a problem so long as the dogs aren't biting other dogs/kids/people. If so I guess that the dogs in question should be muzzled.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well I'm one of those people who takes their dog and their kids to the park. One of my kids runs loose, the other one doesn't. I think it would be frowned upon if I leashed them :p

I don't have a choice but to take them. Neither is in school fulltime, and I'm home with them all the time, and have a husband whose schedule is all over the place, so if I din't take them, my dog would never get any exercise.

I watch them both very carefully and although I can't keep my little one attached to my hip, she knows the rules, and follows them as best as a three year old can. She asks to pet dogs, she doesn't run and scream and she usually just sits quietly tracing lines in the dirt with a stick or hanging out with this fat little beagle Jake, who likes to sit with her and get lots of love and attention from her. My other daughter sticks to my side, and she doesn't like big dogs running up to her, whereas the other one doesn't care.

I think if the kids are respectful of the dogs, people need to chill out and realize that kids exist, deal with it. Sometimes people can't just ditch their kids to hang out with their dog

As for the dogs at the dog park, we go to one at the same time everyday so its always the same people. we know the dogs that are there. There are a few that are not all that well behaved, luckily my dog gets it and stays away from them. Most of the dogs avoid them. The rest of the dogs play respectfully with each other for the most part.

If there is a new person there that has a dog that is misbehaved and the owner doesn't do anything about it, we leave. I have no interest in my dog being attacked, or my kids being attacked. Most people do do that in that sort of situation, and the person with the offending dog usually gets the hint, and stops brinigng their dog.

ETA: I think in some ways having kids there may be beneficial to your dog as part of their socialization. They learn how kids behave by observing them, and then if you come across them when on a walk or whatever they aren't freaked out by the noise the little ones make etc.

·
Registered
639 Posts
SandraDee said:
I watch them both very carefully and although I can't keep my little one attached to my hip, she knows the rules, and follows them as best as a three year old can. She asks to pet dogs, she doesn't run and scream and she usually just sits quietly tracing lines in the dirt with a stick or hanging out with this fat little beagle Jake, who likes to sit with her and get lots of love and attention from her. My other daughter sticks to my side, and she doesn't like big dogs running up to her, whereas the other one doesn't care.
This.

I don't mind children at dog parks, as long as they (and their parents) understand the rules and the possible things that can happen at dog parks. There are constantly young ones at my park who are left to their own devices with no parental supervision. They run around like wild things and scream and jump and sometimes even harass the dogs. I've seen a five-year-old try to sit down and pet two very large dogs who were in the middle of a good play-wrestle. Thank goodness another adult convinced her that was a very bad idea, as the child's mother was off on her cell phone.

Like I said, as long as the kids/parents understand that they're at a dog park, I don't mind them. I even like seeing my dog interact with the kids! He's even been adorable and protective of a nice boy once and stood in front of him to take the brunt of two dogs wrestling right in front of them. But I wish sometimes people would realize that if you or your child is running around, screaming, dogs are going to chase. They might even jump or try to wrestle with the child. Adults get knocked to the ground at the park if a dog accidentally plows into them, so a child most definitely will. I don't mean to sound like a crazy dog park lady, but I've seen way too many children not respecting the dogs, as well as getting into situations where they might get (unintentionally) hurt, and almost always due to a parent's complete and utter lack of attention.

As far as people who don't pay attention to their dog...sigh. There's really nothing you can do about it, short of directly confronting them about it. I just tend to avoid going at the time when I know the most inattentive people are there. Right now I go to a park at around the same time every night, always know 99% of the dogs/owners there, and also know that everyone there pays attention well. If there's someone there who's dog is very poorly behaved around other dogs or people, I do try to say something (excessive humping, picking fights, etc.). If that doesn't work, usually a bunch of us leave and the person tends to get the hint. Not that I think it's fair that we have to leave because the other dog/human is behaving poorly, but we've rarely ever seen them come back after that rather passive-aggressive cold shoulder of ours. ::)

·
Administrator
4,215 Posts

I guess we're lucky, Ruby will have the run of all these fields as well as the ones to the front of the house.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have some really crazy running dogs at our park. One of them ran into a Lady (his owner) and broke her knee. I don't wanna imagine what can happen if a dog like that runs into a child. I guess that's the main reason why Kids under 10 are not allowed at our off-leash dog park.

Usually people watch their dogs at the park and correct them when they get to excited or to rough with others.

·
Registered
86 Posts
SandraDee said:
As for the dogs at the dog park, we go to one at the same time everyday so its always the same people. We know the dogs that are there.
I think this is the best advise. I go to the same park at the same time almost every morning. Everyone knows each other dog(s), and looks out for each others dogs. I find the worst time to go at my park is after work, people just don't seem to pay attention!

·
Registered
324 Posts
We have been lucky and the kids who come to our dog park stay with their parents and are respectful towards the dogs. But our dog park is very strict and doesn't allow children under the age of 10 to enter the park. They also don't allow any breeds of dogs that have been (even though unnecessarily) deemed as aggressive breeds unless they have had behavioral testing. The only problem we have really ever had is a dog getting aggressive towards Riley, but we haven't seen them again since, and people who sit on the benches and in the gazebo not paying attention to what their dogs are doing because they are too busy texting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts