Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Fred (13 weeks old) knows how to throw around the Kong filled with treats. But upgrading her to a higher difficulty is not really working out so well..

If I stuff the Kong with anything sticky, she doesn’t know what to do and leaves it lying there and she can get a little frustrated.

I want to start giving her a Kong in the crate, but I have not found any recipe that is in between the “just a lot of treats” and “frozen banana” recipe.

I do not like the idea of giving her dried chews unsupervised.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
777 Posts
cooked and smashed sweet potato. once he gets older u can stir in some 100% peanut butter. i have some good frozen recipes too where i blend kefir, banana and some super-fruits like blueberries, strawberries and plug the bottom with a piece of peanut butter, is he generally not into frozen yet? u can also smash his kibble and mix it with kefir or cooked sweet potato, freeze it for a short time and try.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Making a frozen version that is more liquid when melting is definitely worth a try. Smashed potato is too difficult I think, but I could try to cook it and put small pieces of it in the Kong I guess.

Do you give these recipes (without kibble) in addition to your dogs normal food? Or as a replacement?

·
Registered
777 Posts
i am an anti cook, so this is how i do it: i punch some holes into a sweet potato or yam (i never give normal potato for my dogs), put it into the microwave, cook it 5-8 minutes, depending on size, let it cool a bit, remove skin and smash with a fork. takes more to type than do:). for puppies i would be careful what to add to their diet, and do it gradually in small increments. for my 2 and 4 year old ones, there is pretty much never enough food, so this is just a treat on top of their normal food. and i don`t give any of these daily.

have you tried putting the kibble into a treat ball? that can occupy them for a while too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts