Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm just new to the forum. I have an 11 yr old V and next week we are getting our second boy who is only 8 week old! Eek it's been so long since I had a puppy!

My question was whether anyone knew how best to keep their Vs cool in summer? The season has just started here in Australia and already today it was 35 degrees (95 f). My current V stays outside during the day and so will the new pup once he's a bit older.

We have a deck out the back with a roof and that's where our current Vs bed is, but I've noticed he's dug a 'den' under a bush out the back, which I guess is cooler.

I want them to be as comfortable as possible, as I think it's going to be a hot summer this year.. any ideas how I can make the day bearable for them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
As long as your V's have free access to water, and can escape the direct sun by finding a shaded area, they should be fine. Keep 'em off of concrete if you can.

Your dog is 11 though, so he is starting to get up there in age. Keep an eye on him, and make sure he isn't showing signs of distress due to the heat. He's not as tough as he thinks he is anymore. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep, the Australian summer really sucks doesn't it. Too hot, too many flies, too many snakes, too hot to go hunting, too dusty, bushfires, gee it goes on and on.
If it wasn't for the cricket and the great cycling weather early in the mornings it (summer that is) would have nothing going for it.
I don't have a V (well at least not yet) but I leave a big tray of water outside for my Brittany and she stands in it and splashes to cool off (especially when we come home from walks).
Last summer it was over 40 deg. C on many occasions and my Brittany would hesitate to cross the road because the bitumen was too hot and she would walk in my shadow to get out of the sun.
Summer will pass pretty quickly, bring on Autumn and the hunting season.
Cheers,
Waldo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts