Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on Shine staying steady. I'm not good enough to get video, when using bird launches, and have her on the check cord. I did run her in a different field afterwards, and had hopes of getting pics. She decided to go after a skunk instead.

Did get a video of Hunter.
He is only steady to flush. With him being 6 years old, I don't think I'm going to try to get him steady till sent.

Reactions: Gabica

·
Administrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picture of Jasper.
20201122_121337.jpg

·
Administrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is Shine without any collars on.
GPS collar, ecollar, Seresto collar, and regular collar all smell like skunk. ☹
20201122_183610.jpg

Reactions: harrigab

·
Administrator
4,263 Posts
I can only imagine what skunk smells like, glad we don't have them over here!

Reactions: John N

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Nice photos. The chase to wing video is well done.
Skunks. Yuck!!!!!!

·
Administrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lot of dogs are only steady till the flush. Yes, you can shoot over them, but the birds have to fly high enough to do it safely.
The video shows just how fast these dogs are on the chase.
Hunter will sometimes try to compete with you for the flush. So I walked in facing him, instead of coming in from the side.
Shine would have leaped straight up, to try and catch it. She has a five to six foot vertical leap, and that can be very dangerous with the inexperienced hunter. We're working on it, and one of the reasons she is back on the check cord. She's being made to stand and watch the birds fly away.
Jasper is always the gentleman's hunting dog. He naturally backs other dogs, and will stay steady while the birds fly.

·
Administrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can only imagine what skunk smells like, glad we don't have them over here!
I can mail you a collar. :ROFLMAO:
You could take it to parties, and let all your friends have a sniff.

·
Administrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i bet it would fail to go thru customs... biological weapon sniffing dogs would give highest level alert, military marching in etc etc...
Customs doesn't have my sense of humor.
I could declare it as a Ode of skunk perfumed dog collar.
I've already washed these multiple times.
I need to bag a fresh one, for the full effect.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Customs doesn't have my sense of humor.
I could declare it as a Ode of skunk perfumed dog collar.
I've already washed these multiple times.
I need to bag a fresh one, for the full effect.
possibly... well, i am sure my boys are happy to help out with fresh ones, and between the 2 of us sooner or later we can create a new business line, and happy to have anyone interested join. LOL. although i am still thinking we need to find a method for a skunk clinic. either training the dogs or the skunks, who knows:)

·
Administrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish they had clinics for skunk, and porcupine. I'd pay money for my dogs to go through those avoidance clinics.
This was Shine's first skunk encounter.
Lucy, and June would go after them 2-3 times a year.
The funny part is keeping douche, and rubber gloves in your vehicle. That way you can rinse them off, before you leave the field.
The things we do for these dogs...

·
Administrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From earlier this week. I worked Shine on launchers. Then released all the dogs to have a little fun.
20201207_143325.png
Shine and Hunter on a slide to a stop find.
Windy day, and the quail being in green cover makes it even harder on the dogs to catch scent.
20201207_143350.png
One quail was up in the tree.
You can see Shine, and Hunter looking up.
Jasper is pointing one on the ground.
20201207_141110.jpg

This is actually Jasper find. He's far left in the picture. Hunter didn't see him on point, and only caught scent after making turn.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Very pretty. I took off yesterday afternoon and when with a GSP friend to hunt / train our dogs, no wind and hot. So our challenge was that all dogs wanted to be on top of the birds. Hoping that by Sunday we will have better scenting conditions again.

·
Administrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've started just popping the birds out of the launcher, before Shine gets to close due to scenting issues. Other than the released one in the green grass. I think it's helping her keep more distance, on a slighter scent. Instead of her thinking she has to pen down the exact direction, before going on point.

·
Administrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Administrator
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yesterday we were out in the field. Shine goes on point along a thick wood line. The bird is flushed, but there was not a clear shoot through the trees. I tell her no bird, and she goes back to hunting the wood line. A little later she disappears in the heavy woods. We hear some noise, and a hawk flies out of the woods. Shine comes out of the same area, with a headless quail. Shine had ruin the hawks meal, and declare the bird as hers. LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts