Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
jumping was a huge problem for us too.

we could manage the jumping on counters and the family b/c we all had the same approach to correcting the (mis)behaviour. however, the issue was when rio (1yr male) would jump on strangers off leash at a dog-park where we had less control and his jumping (and nipping) was sporadic and more difficult to manage.

let me preface the next suggestion by stating that rio is a family pet first and foremost. we had to do something about his jumping and nipping and we tried a different approach - we sent him for field training for 2 weeks. we did the obedience classes, socializing, even extensive viewings of the dog whisperer and nothing was working consistently. when we got rio back from field training he was a different dog.

my theory and justification for this approach was to develop his natural instincts - his nose, retrieving, pointing etc. I felt that his nipping and jumping was displaced energy. now that he knows what his job is (finind game) he's much easier to control. the field training also cured his pulling on the leash when we walk.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Lisa,

Not sure where you live - we are in Brampton (a burb of Toronto) and we sent Rio to Pointblank Dogs ... run by a committed and wonderful woman named Liz Outram and co. They are just west of Peterborough, Ontario.

Check them out at http://www.pointblankdogs.com/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts