Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 12 week old Vizsla pup (Chloe). We are having a few issues but many have been mentioned in other threads (shark biting, pulling while on leash). The one that we havent seen mentioned is about jumping. She is truly a velcro pup, we go to get a drink and she jumps up bouncing off our knees. If someone comes over she charges across the floor and it seems shes trying to jump into their arms.

We have tried turning our backside to her (ignore her), she continues to jump at our backside. I have put my knee out to keep her at a distance, she has then tried to bite my knee. We do not knee her to cause pain or anything like that, we just put a knee up to keep distance. I have grabbed her by the collar on the side of her, made her sit until calm, release, then she jumps.
We have 2 grandkids and they get mauled when they come over, of course they think its play time and enjoy it, they are 6 and 8.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks,
James

Attachments

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
She just needs to grow up some, and have constant correction. Sometimes a little "timeout" in the crate can help settle them down.
Finn, 17 weeks now, spent a few weeks dragging a 3' leash around the house for the same reason. He would jump up like a rabbit and bite at us. He still jumps when he gets super excited, but not like he did. OMG!!!
As odd as it sounds, you may want to consider a padded harness for her. When she starts to jump up, you can safely either pick her up just enough to get those front feet off the ground, or hold the leash on the floor so that she self corrects herself. The leash needs to be attached. Mostly though, you just have to let them grow up a bit.
You also have to convince the two grand kids, and everyone else, to not let her jump up. At 12 weeks old she probably hitting them in the stomach, or chest, with her paws. In another 4 weeks those paws will be at face and eye level for them. She'll stand taller than the 6 year old within 6 weeks.
Jumping up sucks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts