Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy is doing quite well, I'm actually quite impressed in how quickly she learns. The only thing that concerns me is her behavior towards our 3.5 year old. Things are OK when she's tired/calm. We usually sit together on the floor and he can pet her, she licks his hands and does a little gentle finger nipping. We do some training sessions as well and he gets her to sit and feeds her a treat.

When she's more hyper (or when she thinks we're not watching) things are escalating quickly. She's trying to jump at his face trying to nip/bite him. Sometimes the usual No! sound ('A-a!') is enough. When she backs off, we praise her and give her a treat for positive reinforcement.

Sometimes, however, she'll just continue on and we have to step in. We put ourselves between the two of them, pick her up and give her a timeout in the garden. She's usually better when she returns and easier to redirect to something else.

I'm a bit concerned that she's going to grow much bigger and stronger very quickly and this can lead to problems. How would you address this?

·
Administrator
8,419 Posts
This is very normal for a Vizsla puppy.
I would just address it, like you have been addressing it. Maybe add a leash to her, so you can stop the jump faster. Also keep working with her on not jumping up on anyone.

If you just keep working with her, this stage will pass.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with texasred, and can confirm your expectations that your puppy will grow bigger and stronger... much stronger. Maui is just rippling with muscle now at 10 months. We have to be careful with our daughters when Maui comes in from outside, as he’s always energized and wants to play. He’s never aggressive, just wants to play at an energy level above everyone else. The jumping at the face has to be addressed every single time, and we also teach our girls how to anticipate the high energy, and how to keep safe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts