Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2C8FA3B8-A3F9-4697-BA5E-4E2F180953C3.jpeg
Back on Memorial day he hurt his knee. Of all things, he was lizard hunting in the yard.
He was on rest for five weeks, and had his recheck today. The vet could still feel some tenderness, fluid, and felt his gait in that knee was still slightly off.
He will be spending the night at A&M. Tomorrow they will use a Orthoscopic camera to get a better look inside the knee. If needed, he will have TPLO surgery while he is already sedated.
Sends some good thoughts to this sweet boy, that just melts into everyone’s lap.

·
Administrator
4,311 Posts
get well soon buddy.

Reactions: texasred

·
Administrator
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They scoped the knee, and found the tear. He had TPLO surgery while still sedated. Everything went well, and he should get to come home either Wednesday afternoon or Thursday.

·
Administrator
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He had some bleeding through the compression bandage (not uncommon for this type of surgery) last night, so he’s not coming home today. We are still hopeful that he will get to come home on Thursday.

Reactions: harrigab

·
Administrator
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yay
Jasper gets to come home this afternoon.
Between rechecking the knee, surgery, and post op, he’s been at the vets for four days.
It’s where he needed to be, but we sure missed him.

·
Administrator
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jasper is home
E729A5B9-C8FC-4D48-8D0F-A2BCB670EBFE.jpeg

Reactions: Dan_A and sandiegov

·
Administrator
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just because he’s so cute, and happy to be back home. You have to excuse the bright white legs in the pictures.
35AA102D-2C81-4D68-A5E7-6BA73B175D10.jpeg
74215A12-338B-4692-B6FE-9FD1D5CE4C24.jpeg

·
Administrator
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right now only walks to go potty on leash. Ice the knee, passive range of motion exercise while laying down. When he’s standing, slowly rock the hips side to side, so he will put weight on the leg. Slowly over time increase the slow walks, making him put that foot down.
recheck incision at 10 to 14 days, and re-X-ray the knee in 8 weeks. It will be 12 weeks total, of rest and rehab.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Best wishes for a optimal recovery.

Thats a seriously long recovery for such an active dog. Does the soreness prevent him from being too active , like self regulating? Or does he attempt to push through the pain and tries to run or jump?

·
Administrator
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can’t leave self regulation to chance.
He’s on a short leash for potty , or me sitting with him on the floor while still on leash. Otherwise he is crated. He will be on Trazodone, to help keep him calm.
More movement cause more inflammation, and slows recovery time. Leaping, jumping, or a run can cause hardware failure until the bones mend back together. The recovery, is just as important as the surgery.
In TPLO the bone is cut, and repositioned in a different angle using a plate, and screws/pins.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I looked into the procedure and can see how hardware is holding the bone in its new position. Pretty amazing really. I can see how medication will be very helpful to provide some light sedation.

What was your decision process around deciding on TPLO versus Tightrope?

I have to say i'm nervous about crcld later on down the road. These V's are super active and i cringe at the things Ellie does out in the woods. She thinks she's an invincible gazzelle.

·
Administrator
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tightrope is mainly only a option in smaller dogs.
TPLO has a better success rate in medium, and large dogs.

A&M is doing a study on a new knee surgery.
So maybe in a few years (or sooner) there will be a even better option.

Reactions: Dan_A

·
Administrator
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He’s as well as can be expected.
The incision is healing, and we are icing the knee, and doing his exercises. He’s tired of all the crate time, and the cone. I spend as much time as I can, sitting on the floor next to him, with him laying beside me.
Tomorrow will be one week down, and 11 more to go.😩

·
Administrator
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They always give so much & expect so little, I guess that he deserves some special treatment. Although 12 weeks does seem like a bit much :rolleyes:
Oh it does to me too.
When we get 8 weeks in, they will re-X-ray.
So hopeful at that point, some of restrictions will be lifted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts