Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum helped me a lot when I first adopted my wild boy Scout at 8 months old. I'd forgotten how crazy those first days were. I just re read the posts and teared up. He became the very best boy. The love of our lives. And we lost him in October at 10 years old. We adopted another, Rocky, also at 8 months old, and he's now 7.5. He's never been a problem. I think his first owner did some amazing training. Since Scout died, Rocky has been subdued, maybe even depressed at first. He's adjusting better but is really bored. I mean, the wild one, Scout kept Rocky on his paws. And Scout did not love Rocky for a good two years. It was another chaotic time. But they did adjust.

So here we have sweet Rocky and I am worried he will age prematurely, or not stay as young as he would if we got a puppy. And that's where we are at. Should we get another Vizsla puppy for Rocky. He's very well adjusted with the dogs at the dog park or at the overnight camp. Is there any other way to tell if he's going to be happier as an only dog or with a puppy brother? Any advice is appreciated. I guess breeders have a wait list of about a year, so if we are going to do it, I'd like to get on a list. Here is Scout (left) and Rocky a year or so ago. I was sooo green back when I first got Scout and was in here so scared, it's amazing that I made it with Scout. I feel pretty much like a veteran dog owner now, but still, I've never had a brand new puppy with another dog. Thanks everyone, Terri and Rocky.
Dog Plant Sky Dog breed Carnivore

·
Administrator
9,229 Posts
So very sorry for your loss of Scout.
No matter the age, it’s so hard to let them go.

As far as getting a pup for Rocky.
I’ve had dogs that could care less if there was another dog in the house. I’ve also had dogs that loved having another dog to play with.
You know Rocky better than anyone else, so that’s a decision best answered by you. Most breeders do have a long wait list.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So very sorry for your loss of Scout.
No matter the age, it’s so hard to let them go.

As far as getting a pup for Rocky.
I’ve had dogs that could care less if there was another dog in the house. I’ve also had dogs that loved having another dog to play with.
You know Rocky better than anyone else, so that’s a decision best answered by you. Most breeders do have a long wait list.
Thank you. I really don't know what to do. I think he'd love a pup but he was so bullied by Scout for so long, I think he may be enjoying the solitude too. We are going to give it awhile I think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts