Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

We have just weighed our 15 week old male vizsla, and he is only 10kg. Over the past few weeks he's lost his puppy fat and has started to look more on the skinny side, his ribs are visible and we can see his hip bones. When he had his 2nd lot of vaccinations (a few weeks back) the vet wasn't concerned then. I just put his details into an online vizlsa weight guide and said that he should be 19.3kg at this stage!! Is this right? Can anyone recommend any puppy weight charts? We have no issues with food, he eats very happily so may need to just up the amount he eats for now perhaps.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Oscar, 14 months, Vizsla
25 Posts
Hi there!

Just checked my pupster's health records and at exactly 15 weeks he was 10.5 kilos. Now he weighs 29 kilos and still looks like he hasn't eaten in a while :)). I think 10 kilos is fine - from what I have seen they vary a lot in size and weight. I've seen huge Vizslas and smaller Vizslas - they are all lovely in my opinion. I do believe that as long as the dog is happy and healthy you shouldn't worry. If your vet says he is fine, than he is ok. However, if you wish to get more meat on his bones you may want to try feeding a higher protein food (we were directed towards Orijen Large Puppy, however Oscar's stomach didn't agree with such a high level of protein, so he ate Acana Junior and kept on looking skinny and still looks super skinny).

In no way, in my opinion, can and should a 15 week old Vizsla weigh 19 kilos - the weight for an adult vizsla is between 25 and 30 kilos, give or take. Here you can find a growth chart Typical Size & Weight, but you know, it's just like all children - some are smaller when they are young and witness a growth spur. However, based on the weight of Oscar, I believe your pup is just fine.

I have seen people advising to feed your puppy as much as they need, as it's very unlikely to have a fat Vizsla puppy. However, Oscar could not handle free feeding as he would eat an entire bag of food, plus the more I fed him, the looser his stool was. If it brings you some comfort, you could up his daily intake and see what happens - or try feeding him a different food that will get him more protein and more calories.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts