Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I’m an Irish veterinary medicine student based in the land of Vizsla...Hungary. I have one Vizsla already with my family in Ireland (1 y/o female) and I have a second Vizsla pup with me in Hungary (4 month old male). Shortly I will be returning home to Ireland with the new puppy and I was wondering if anybody has ever introduced a second Vizsla to their home. Did you encounter any problems by adding a second dog? Any tips on what’s the best introduction method to ensure the pup is accepted? Experience in general?
Thanks in advance for the responses!

·
Registered
225 Posts
We have done 2 introductions. Both were done outside the house.

They sniffed butts and were off chasing each other. And they were instant friends. No issues with jealousy.

And v's seem to play rough. So if you here lots of growling/barking it does not necessarily mean bad things. Watch the attitude of their tails and hair on their back.

·
Administrator
8,632 Posts
I do intros away from the home.
I also take into account, how the older dog does with new dogs.
If you know the older dog needs time to become comfortable with new ones. I do short intros, and then keep the new one away from them. Then keep doing short interactions, until the existing dog shows me they are comfortable.
Shine thinks every dog is her new best friend. Jasper needs a few days, then he is good.
Hunter it can take up to a month, for him to tolerate a in your face puppy. Plus I give him his space away from them, if he's tired and wants to relax.

Also keep in mind, that the older dog may correct a puppy for pushing boundaries.
As long as it's mild correction, I don't get involved. Mild corrections, are just noisy. They should never break the skin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do intros away from the home.
I also take into account, how the older dog does with new dogs.
If you know the older dog needs time to become comfortable with new ones. I do short intros, and then keep the new one away from them. Then keep doing short interactions, until the existing dog shows me they are comfortable.
Shine thinks every dog is her new best friend. Jasper needs a few days, then he is good.
Hunter it can take up to a month, for him to tolerate a in your face puppy. Plus I give him his space away from them, if he's tired and wants to relax.

Also keep in mind, that the older dog may correct a puppy for pushing boundaries.
As long as it's mild correction, I don't get involved. Mild corrections, are just noisy. They should never break the skin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts