Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Clyde, Vizsla, 5 months
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! We're new here, looking for....all the vizsla tips...birds, food, training, birds, exercise, facilities, birds, what can I do myself and what do I need professional help with.

Primarily, he LOVES birds. He's been pointing birds during walkies on his own since 8 weeks, and I give the 'whoa' command when he offers the behavior....but then I tell him to 'leave it' and 'let's go'.
I feel horrible about it...he rolls in bird poo or carcasses, etc...and finds every single one EVER. I had no idea how many dead birdies were all over the ground all the time!!
(I don't allow that either, and I give him treats for all that 'leaving it')

He's SO frustrated. And so am I.
I have no real life hunting experience, but I'm as keen as he is.
Before I found this site, it was my understanding that I shouldn't let him chase/mouth live birds...that hunting dogs do not dispatch prey. They point, flush, and retrieve....so what am I missing in the middle here?

Can I handle this on my own?
Flower Plant Dog Dog breed Carnivore
Dog Carnivore Liver Ear Comfort

Glasses Vision care Dog Goggles Sunglasses

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Pet supply

Jaw Comfort Flash photography Gesture Art

·
Administrator
9,229 Posts
Well we do let puppies chase for a short period of time (good flying pigeons) it helps them learn that they can not catch the birds. It also gets them to point for a longer period of time.
Training with Mo
Is a good book to help you understand how to develop a pointing dog.
How much can you do yourself?
That depends on you, and your access to land, and birds. A checkcord, a few quail, and lots of pigeons will get you started.

Reactions: Gabica

·
Administrator
9,229 Posts
This is a friends pup that I’m doing bird intro with over the weekend. You can see she is getting to chase a quail, and even carry it around.
Once they know they have power over the bird, and are bird crazy. Then the baby birddog training can start.
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Tree

Sky Plant Cloud Plant community Ecoregion
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Tree
Sky Plant Cloud Plant community Ecoregion

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Welcome, Melany (Bonnie?) & Clyde! Y'all look to be partners in crime!😂🤣

Wish I could be more help as it relates to hunting. I haven't been active in the field for some years. None the less, @texasred can provide you with solid advice. She has generations of bird hunting behind her. There are others that are quite active here. Though, it's summertime and they may not be super active at this moment. Be patient.

Notable to me, are the images you've posted in this thread. It appears to me, you are well on your way to forming that unique vizsla-human bond! Continue to cement that bond and you'll be able to teach Clyde anything!

The last picture? PRICELESS! Reminds me so much of me and my Aly!

Dog Muscle Jaw Gesture Carnivore

1 - 4 of 4 Posts