Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past I've always had easy access to my back yard for potty training. Even with that, with my previous V, it was difficult until he got it, then he never went inside the house again. IIRC it took about two months.

Now I'm concerned with how to approach it because I've moved, and the back of the house is elevated from the back yard. So the only two doors to the back yard lead out to the deck, and there is a full flight of stairs to the grass.

That's a long way for a little 8 week old puppy to go to.

I'm thinking maybe getting some artificial turf to put on the deck and move it closer and closer to the stairs over time? I figure at about 16 - 24 weeks he should be bounding up and down the stairs without issue? So if I just creep the turf over a little at at time he'll have grown enough to navigate the stairs by the time I reach the edge of the deck?

The good thing is that I mostly work from home, so I'll be on the computer all day and can take him out frequently.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, however. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I had a similar set-up when potty training my girl, though she came home at 10 weeks. I just carried her down stairs for the first few weeks. She did have some accidents on the deck landing, but she worked it out quickly enough.

To me, carrying her down a flight of stairs was preferable to cleaning artificial turf.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a similar set-up when potty training my girl, though she came home at 10 weeks. I just carried her down stairs for the first few weeks. She did have some accidents on the deck landing, but she worked it out quickly enough.

To me, carrying her down a flight of stairs was preferable to cleaning artificial turf.
Good point. I forgot you can carry them at that age! LOL!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Good point. I forgot you can carry them at that age! LOL!
Well I still try to carry my dog now, but she doesn't really appreciate it. :smile

My battery was almost dead when I posted before, so I just wanted to clarify that she didn't have accidents while being carried, but later once I let her walk down by herself.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
There was a good idea posted from folks who live in super cold climate , regarding wintertime potty places... They used the same basic Idea, but with pieces of sod grass instead of the artificial turf. I plan to give it a try when it in my garage, when it rains , to try to keep the mud out of my house!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts