Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
This is my first ever post to the forum but I’ve been an avid reader for years. After about a year and a half of searching and waiting, I finally found the perfect breeder and will be getting my pup shortly. Obviously I’ve been doing a lot of research on training and stumbled across Ian Dunbar’s books. I really like his methods and they seem really straight forward. My question concerns his errorless house training method that essentially requires you to crate your dog with stuffed Kongs for a large portion of the first few weeks, periodically letting them out on the hour to establish good potty habits. In theory it seems really smart and easy but I was wondering if anyone has had any success with this method when trying to train a vizsla. Any input would be appreciated!
-LV

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I've never done it that way, but Ian may have an end goal objective that is not immediately clear.
I have always put them in the crate and slept next to the crate for the first week or so. I can reassure them instantly if they need it, and I can get them out the door immediately when they need it.
I don't think I have ever put food in a crate, other than in the form of treats to teach them, "Kennel In".

·
Administrator
8,228 Posts
Dunbar has tons of knowledge, but like gunnr, I also do it differently.

Puppies given to much freedom, are more likely to have accidents in the house. They are also given more opportunities to chew up things in the house. . I don't let them in any room, I'm not in.
If I can't have eyes on my puppy, I crate them.
They get tired, and sleepy, its off to the crate.
I also take them out to potty every 20, to 25 minutes, that they are awake and out with me. Make sure they potty two, or three times, before we come back inside. Puppies are notorious for getting sidetracked, and not fully emptying their bladder at one time.

Reactions: Bob Engelhardt
1 - 3 of 3 Posts