Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fun continues with Ruby's spaying. We tried the sedatives and they were working to slow her down a bit. She still wanted to play but was all drunk and stumbling. Yesterday, I noticed that her incision was bleeding a little so I called the vet. Since they know my Ruby so well, they said to bring her in. My vet was not concerned with the bleeding but how swollen her incision was still. My choice was to crate her 24 hrs a day and heavily sedated or they take her and do it. They think it is fluid build up and she just needs to relax to heal. I opted for them to take her. She is now there for the next 3 days or possibly more. She is supposed to have her sutures out on monday but we will have to see how she heals.

I see everyone's stories on how their V stayed somewhat calm. Even, Ruby's litter mate had hers done the week previous and everything went great. I guess I am always going to have the crazy pup. Grrrr.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Aw. I am sure you will miss her like crazy. I hope she comes back healed and ready to go again.
Don't feel alone. We have the crazy one as well since no sedatives have worked for her, including doggie zanax. it was so hard to keep her restricted for all that time. We felt so bad keeping her in the crate 24/7 (only out for potty and food/drink) for the first couple days but it worked out for the best for us.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yup – it sounds like you have one of the truly crazy ones. I have one, too, which is why Savannah was on sedatives from the moment she got home until her stitches were removed. The whole ‘bad parent’ attitude and gasps of ‘you drugged your puppy?!?’ from others just had to be ignored. Only you know how out of control she can get.

I hope the rest of Ruby’s recovery goes smoothly and the stitches come out on schedule. Once she is healed, it will take more than one serious exercise/play session to burn off all that stored energy. Plan for a few days of extra off-leash running sessions or extra play sessions with known dogs to wear her out (my vet gave the green light for rough-housing the day the stitches were removed). Also, all of Savannah’s leash manners were GONE when we started walking again. I hope you don’t have to go back to square one with Ruby. Let me tell you, leash training was hard the first time when Savannah was a small puppy. It was no fun at all when she was 45 lbs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Having the crazy one will serve you well as she gets older, she'll be active long after other dogs her age have slowed down. That's what I tell myself when I think Rex has too much energy! While it is heartbreaking to be away from her, I think you're making the right choice having her stay with the vet for a few days to recover. They can keep a closer eye on her incision and will know if something needs to be done about the fluid buildup. They're also a little more immune to the puppy dog eyes.

When Rex was about 9 months old, we took a very long car trip (~10 hours each way). He stood for the entire ride, so we asked for a sedative to give him on the drive home. We gave him significant sedative for the drive home, but he still managed to stand for the full drive. I wonder if some puppies just have a stronger will to stay awake and play than the sedatives can overcome. Now, a sedative will pretty much knock him out, unless there is company over and he will still try and fight through the sleepiness.

Try and do something this weekend to keep your mind off of not having her around the house. Good luck and we hope she comes home Monday ready (and allowed) to play!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the support from all of the other CRAZY V owners. Maybe we need to start a support group...lol.

I do feel better about keeping her at the Vet even though I miss her - crazy I even miss her smell. On the other hard, my husband and I are going to enjoy the weekend and get out of the house since we originally thought we were going to have keep on eye on Ruby all weekend.

I will give you an update on Monday morning. If I get the go ahead I will probably get her back in doggie daycare as fast as possible - at least for 1/2 days to start to get out all of that pent up energy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts