Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished a two hour on-leash walk downtown. 20 questions of "what kind of dog are they?" New response is and will now be "Hungarian Pointers. Hunting Dogs." I won't call them Vizslas anymore.

They really are not family pets. My oldest daughter will not bring over our 1 and 3 year old grandsons because of my hunting dogs unless I put them in the kennel. Bailey knocked over our 2 year old granddaughter yesterday. He didn't mean to, but he is a 62 pound hunting dog full of muscles and at the pool he just walked by and she went down crying.

Today's post by ccerta brought all this in focus:
At this point though, I am stuck with him all week long and two young kids too, and I cannot even let the dog run around with them. I'm covered with bruises all over my body, and scars from his biting that was worse in previous months. These days he doesn't cut the skin. He likes to bite you when you are petting him, particularly when you are rubbing his belly, he bites your hands/wrists. I don't know if this was the wrong dog for me, but I am stuck now, so I have to figure something out.
So no more "Vizsla" unless someone asks, "Vizsla?" Then I'll just say, "Yeah." and continue our walk.

The century old hunting dog of Hungary is the Hungarian Pointer. That is what I'll be calling my red bird dogs. I like the sound of it. German Shorthair Pointer works and so does German Wirehaired Pointer. Not many folks think of them as family pets. Why not Hungarian Pointer?

http://redbirddog.blogspot.com/2010/08/promoting-vizsla-as-high-class-bird-dog.html

RBD

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
This made me smile (and nod my head), redbirddog.

Went camping a few weeks ago and got questioned a few dozen times about what "he" was. It's not always bad when those who ask are interested in hearing your response... But some people ask and then respond with "oh, okay.". Why even ask if you don't care what "he" is.

It was so refreshing to eventually run into a couple with a 6yr old V female and a 4yr old GSP female. Found a nice open field and let them do their thing :)

·
Administrator
4,200 Posts
I quite often say the same Rod, it seems to get the point (no pun intended) over better as to what our dogs do. ;)

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I am sorry about your experience.
Rod, it depends on your training, you can make them anything you want. If you desire family pets, show them the new rules and they will listen.

Our breeder advised us to call them Hungaraian short hair pointer, if anyone asks :)

New Years eve at Niagara Falls we were approached countless times. Except for the couple from Texas, who had to leave their V dog at home, only Hungarians knew Sam was Vizsla. Some of them tried to teach me how to pronounce Vizsla in Hungarian :-[

In Hungarian they are all Vizsla....German Vizsla, English Vizsla, Italian Vizsla....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hungarian Pointer - that's exactly what I say in the lift, in the park, in the cafe, in a restaurant... I figured out, that people get this expression on their face like "ah-never-heard-this-breedname-before-and-I'll-forget-it-anyway-because-I-even-wouldn't-know-how-to-spell" when I tell them it's a Vizsla.

Hungarian Pointer
. Point. And if someone still doesn't know what a Pointer is - I add "It's a hunting dog"... I even don't mention every time that it's an Hungarian Pointer because some people look and act like they don't know where Hungary is :eek:

"Oh, that's a Ridgeback" :eek:..... "Oh that's a Weimaraner?" :eek:

I should say: " No, it's an Australian Vizsla, a Hunting dog with a Hungarian backround, living here in Asia owned by me, a German."
;D

·
Administrator
4,200 Posts
datacan said:
I am sorry about your experience.
Rod, it depends on your training, you can make them anything you want. If you desire family pets, show them the new rules and they will listen.

Our breeder advised us to call them Hungaraian short hair pointer[/color], if anyone asks :)

New Years eve at Niagara Falls we were approached countless times. Except for the couple from Texas, who had to leave their V dog at home, only Hungarians knew Sam was Vizsla. Some of them tried to teach me how to pronounce Vizsla in Hungarian :-[

In Hungarian they are all Vizsla....German Vizsla, English Vizsla, Italian Vizsla....
that's why I call Rubes a Hungarian Pointer, because she's a wire/short hair mix.. ;D

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I skip the "pointer" part and just call Riley a Hungarian Hunting Dog. Most people lose interest when they hear the word "hunting". :p

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I love the look of fear for their children when you tell someone what your dogs are. I also got to the point where I just call them a hungarian pointer. Then, if there is still no lights go on, I say "Hunting Dog" which seams to miff a fair few people. :) :) Oh....why would you want a hunting dog is the often asked question....................... Often answered with...... to hunt! :) :)

Now I love telling them we go and kill Bambi! :) :) Gotta watch those vicious hunting dogs.... take down a Deer they will!! :) :) (You Poms, just use a Python voice of your choice for that last sentence)

·
Registered
775 Posts
We say Vizsla just to annoy people and make them ask more. When Ruby was a young pup, it drove us crazy when people would come up and tell us what our dog was with such certainty as they were so wrong. We would get Lab, Pit Bull, and Weim. My husband and I would start to make up names to confuse people. Our favorite was a Paprika Lab and people believed us...LOL.

As for having Ruby near children (as we just have her as a pet), she spent all last saturday at our 1 yr old niece's birthday party. She was around 10 kids (ages 6 months - 4 yrs old ) and 40 adults. She was such a good girl and did not knock over one child and even got to go in the Princess Bouncy House (big inflatable thing). I had many people come up and say she was the most well behaved kid at the party :p

·
Administrator
8,085 Posts
When someone tells me how calm and good my dog is in the vets waiting room, and that they wish their dog would be still till told to move. Then ask the breed. I just bypass the breed name and tell them "3 years of training and a few months with a pro trainer was what it took to get him to be still indoors."

·
Registered
503 Posts
I sorta get the feeling some of us are a little...defensive? up-tight? about things like this?

My dog's breed is of no conern to me in relation to how she is. I have no problems saying "Veesh-la" to people, and even spelling it if they ask. I have no problems explaining ANYTHING about my wonderful pup. Heck, I even picked a name that, when read, DEMANDS explanation to most people.
I take no pride in my dog's looks, behaviour, character traits, etc. Likewise, I find no annoyance in giving details to those who ask

·
Administrator
8,085 Posts
DMP I understand your a new owner and may not realize yet how many people buy a V without thinking it through. They work to many hours a day and have other commitments that would keep them from giving a V the time needed. Then the dog is crated or left outside on its own for hours on end.
Some breeder weed out as many of these people as they can but ones only wanting money don't. Then the pup acts horrible and they are ready to get rid of it by any means possible.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sorta get the feeling some of us are a little...defensive? up-tight? about things like this?
dmp,
Yes, guilty as charged. Maybe a lot......defensive.

I take no pride in my dog's looks, behaviour, character traits, etc.
I guess I do take pride in all those things.

Maybe I need to learn to relax my sphincter muscle. :eek:

RBD

·
Registered
652 Posts
As for vizlsas and kids...

We don't have kids (yet?) but came very close when Flynn was 5 and the trainer we work with was rightfully concerned. Flynn had never really been socialized around kids and he didn't really like them. We went to extra classes to get ready to prepare him and we were truly nervous about what the future would hold. We even did a class where the trainer brought his less than 1 year old toddler to class so that we could watch and learn about the dog's body language when the toddler was walking around (we all had our dogs on loose leashes and it was a very controlled environment).

Anyway, Flynn and most other dogs, saw the wobbly toddler moving around and most of the dogs got visibly nervous and hid behind their owners. The trainer explained that dogs retreat from kids often because they're uneasy about the situation, but the kids don't understand this, so they keep coming at the dog anyway. Then, the dog feels cornered and this is what can lead to bites. Flynn has never made contact but has given warning air-nips to 2 children, which was scary. He's also knocked a few kids down and there have been a lot of tears. Once it even looked to me like he was watching/stalking my little niece as though she were "prey". The look in his eye was unnerving. My nephew is afraid of him and won't even come to our house. Basically, we just don't let Flynn interact with young kids. Ever. If they ask to pet him, we say "No, he is afraid of kids just like some kids are afraid of dogs".

We made it a point with Luna to socialize her more with kids, though its not easy when you don't have any. She is much more comfortable around them and she is just more gentle by nature. I don't fear her interacting with my nieces and nephews, but I always supervise.

I guess my point is sometimes it's just the dog. Some are better with kids than others. I also assume that if you raise a child from infancy with a dog in the house the dog will feel differently about that child (a member of the family/pack) than one they just encounter for the first time. At least I'm hoping that's the case with Flynn should we have a child. But, he's getting much older and honestly, we'd be fine with him just not really interacting with our child. It would probably be for the best.

As for type of dog, we do say Vizsla but then we say "he's a pointer. A hunting dog."

·
Registered
503 Posts
Of course I don't have the perspective of my colleagues here on the board.

I bet most of y'all wouldnt have sold ME a Vizsla based on my lifestyle alone. I guess I'm saying, maybe I have more faith in strangers asking me about my pup? Maybe that's the wrong word - faith.

Maybe its a little like this: Sometimes my kids' friends' parents and teachers say "Darin - your kids are amazing. They are so well behaved and disciplined and happy. You are so lucky!"

I don't often tell them "My kids are how they are not because of cosmic forces - not counting the Devine, which plays a huge part - but my kids are who they are because I love them enough to paddle their behinds when they step out of line. My kids are happy because I, through Gods enduring grace and whatever wisdom He grants, love them enough
to make hard choices for them. Because I care enough about them to NOT let them do something 'simply because they like it'. We have heard it - all of us have - "I know little johnny is pounding on the glass door! I know its loud and he's screaming, but he LIKES it - just easier to let him do it than take him away from it!" To me, that kind of parent is a huge "Fail".
So - yeah, I don't often go into that with people who ask me, because people generally are just curious and do not want to be preached to. I generally say "Thank you! My children ARE great people and a blessing to me and their mother!"

I never fear people will decide to have kids simply because they love MY kids (although, that has happened at least once; friends of ours with one child, a girl, loved my Son and how much he's awesome so much, they had a baby in the hopes they'd get a boy). :)

See where I'm coming from? Same with the Dog. Make sense?

·
Registered
652 Posts
PS - I absolutely do take pride in how beautiful, unique, athletic, sweet, loving and amazing my Vizslas are. They're the closest thing I have to children and I know if I had kids (whether I gave birth to them myself or not) I'd feel the same kind of pride. I have a "Vizsla Mom" sticker on my car even though most people probably have no idea what it means. I'm a proud mama.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I do think sometimes we over exaggerate the demands of our pups. Truly Jake is not that much work. We don't hunt, he hunted one time and he was afraid of the bird. Now I know with some training, I'm sure he'd be fabulous and he does like to bounce around in tall grasses and do his thing. I hate to say though, I think his favorite thing in the world is his family and I don't think he's missing out on anything by not hunting. He goes everywhere with us, has the run of the house, has two boats to play on, gets a good walk and off leash run about every other day and he's great. We walk him a short distance, let him off the leash and walk along with him for about a mile in an open grassy area, play fetch with the ball or frisbee and this is enough for him. He also swims for hours on the weekends and some evenings in the summer. I think this amount of activity is pretty easy for most families to accomplish. Of course, I'm sure V's just like humans, have different personalities and different energy levels. I should also say the first year and a half, he did require a bit more exercise. We also play "hide the treats" in the house and other mentally stimulating games.

I know everyone wants to protect the breed and I do too. I'm guilty of discouraging many people I know who I do not think live a lifestyle conducive to being owned by a V. "I used to leave my old dog all day, 9-10 hours while I work" "My dogs stay outside all day"

I am agreeing a bit with DMP, I think maybe we are a touch too hard on the human race. It really boils down to the breeders being responsible and being the first line of defense to make sure the pups go to appropriate owners.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'd take it one step further, JM - I think it boils down to the OWNERS being responsible. Anybody can say what a breeder wants to hear.

Humans sometimes, ****, OFTEN, we muck up the lives of those around us, human and non-human alike. That will never change. :(

·
Registered
652 Posts
Jakermomma, Flynn's life sounds a lot like Jake's. We do a lot of hiking, on-leash and off-leash runs, frisbee, mountain biking, swimming, the beach, mental-stimulating games in the house, take him everywhere with us (we stay at dog-friendly hotels etc.). He's never hunted - though he still enjoys to point and always will. We did start field training with Luna, but we are not going to hunt with her. Her trainer wants her to get her JH and he said he'd take her out hunting. I'd be all for that.

Both breeders knew we were getting these dogs as house pets and that we were owners with an active lifestyle who were dedicated to giving them good, quality lives. They knew we weren't going to pursue hunting or showing. Luna's breeder appeared to be much more selective than Flynn's (Larry) but the fact that we already had a vizsla made her confident in us getting another one. If Flynn had to live like one of Larry's hunting dogs, he probably couldn't hack it. He's more of an "I sleep on a goose down duvet" kind of vizsla :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
flynnandlunasmom said:
Jakermomma, Flynn's life sounds a lot like Jake's. We do a lot of hiking, on-leash and off-leash runs, frisbee, mountain biking, swimming, the beach, mental-stimulating games in the house, take him everywhere with us (we stay at dog-friendly hotels etc.). He's never hunted - though he still enjoys to point and always will. We did start field training with Luna, but we are not going to hunt with her. Her trainer wants her to get her JH and he said he'd take her out hunting. I'd be all for that.

Both breeders knew we were getting these dogs as house pets and that we were owners with an active lifestyle who were dedicated to giving them good, quality lives. They knew we weren't going to pursue hunting or showing. Luna's breeder appeared to be much more selective than Flynn's (Larry) but the fact that we already had a vizsla made her confident in us getting another one. If Flynn had to live like one of Larry's hunting dogs, he probably couldn't hack it. He's more of an "I sleep on a goose down duvet" kind of vizsla :)
Goose down duvet.....that's funny, that's how Jake is. He won't even lay in the grass at our marina unless I put his roll up bed down first lol!!! People laugh so hard at our dog, the common comment is "I want to come back as your dog in the next life" He's very spoiled and particular. I'm sure we've molded him that way by giving him these luxuries but he's a great boy, listens very well. I always get the compliment that he's such a happy boy which makes my heart happy!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts