Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found the forum and elated to see a Vizsla hunting section.

I'm John from the DFW area. Sniper John is a nickname given to me by my Duck hunting buddies related to my favorite bird to hunt. I am owned by Blaze. Blaze is my 5 year old companion hunting dog used with everything from Upland, to Fur, to Waterfowl, to some Big Game. Well over 30 hunting days in the field each year. Nice to see an active Vizsla forum on the net!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Welcome John!! We can never have too many Texans here. Blaze is a great looking dog. Do you happen to know of any snake avoidance clinics in the area? I need to get Reba to one this year.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A member of the hunting forum I am a moderator on does it. His website.
http://www.snakebreaker.com/
Wayne will be set up doing it at a friends place in Weatherford first Saturday in August.
He will also have the snake vaccine for tentatively $20 and will let you buy the booster shot to take with you if you bring an ice chest to take it home.

I am going to try and take Blaze. She learned the hard way when she was snake bit 3 or 4 years ago which had her jumping away even from snake shaped sticks, but after a couple close calls last season, it is time for some reinforcement.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Welcome and that's nice looking Vizsla you've got there Sniper John. Looks like a good day afield!
You must hunt some tough cover. I see the chest protector and what looks like boots? I have two girls I'm getting ready for the upcoming fall, and the chest protector is a good reminder for a trip I need to make to Cabela's.
We have some tough briars here in New England, but thankfully not many poisonous snakes. ;)

Gunnr

·
Registered
188 Posts
Gunnr
may I ask where you buy your chest protectors from?... Purdey jumped a barbed wire fence chasing a pheaseant which aged me 20 yrs so I need something to protect tummy and chest.
Many thanks
BB

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome to the forum John. She is a beautiful lass. How did you get her used to her boots. We have been trying for months with no success at all. We get them on and as soon as we turn our backs they are off her feet and we are trying to get at least one of them from her if not two or three. We started putting them on her at about ten months and now she's about 18 months old. Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
barrel said:
Gunnr
may I ask where you buy your chest protectors from?... Purdey jumped a barbed wire fence chasing a pheaseant which aged me 20 yrs so I need something to protect tummy and chest.
Many thanks
BB
I really like the chest protector I use. It is very light, very simple. Not to warm for our typical weather here. With three little plastic buckles along the top that you can adjust the length of the straps across the top with. My dog likes it.
Go to www.cabelas.com and search for Cabela's Ripstop Chest Protector.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sahara said:
Welcome to the forum John. She is a beautiful lass. How did you get her used to her boots. We have been trying for months with no success at all. We get them on and as soon as we turn our backs they are off her feet and we are trying to get at least one of them from her if not two or three. We started putting them on her at about ten months and now she's about 18 months old. Any advice is welcome.
Sahara,
I guess I was just very lucky. I started by putting them on her for short periods of time around the house and always made sure to associate them with something fun or play time. She took right too them. Now when I put them on she runs around like a poodle. Like a kid with new "go fast" tennis shoes. She knows if the boots go on, she is going hunting. She loves them. I can tell she loves the sound of them. The boots I use take a lot to put on correctly. I generally wrap her angle with athletic tape, put the boot on, then wrap a strip of duct tape over the top of that. She still will lose one now and then with some hard hunting. I always carry extras.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gunnr said:
Welcome and that's nice looking Vizsla you've got there Sniper John. Looks like a good day afield!
You must hunt some tough cover.
Gunnr
Gunnr,
That was north central Colorado Sage Desert. I drove across Colorado season before last with Blaze hunting all 4 kinds of Colorado's Grouse.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
barrel said:
Gunnr
Many thanks
BB
BB

I usually just get them from Cabela's. I like the orange for greater visibility. I'll probably get the one Sniper John recommends.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts