Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how tall an average 4month Vizsla should be. We keep being told that we have a bog dog and some people don't believe me when i say he is only 4 month (4 month birthday today)

I have just measured him and he is 20.5niches or 52cm at his whiters. This seems big for a 4 moth puppy when the average full grown male vizsla is 23-25inches.

Just wondering if this is normal, do they all grow this fast? We did meet another Viz that was only 8 days younger than Digby, but was about 3 inches shorter and much skinner (Digby is by no means fat, but is getting bulky!) and the owner thought that hers was quite big!

We're feeding him puppy food for large athletic breeds as recommended. I love him what ever - just interested, I have no problems if he's big it would be kinda funny in a way - as I'm 6'6"

·
Registered
809 Posts
Kian is 23" at 11 months. He weighs just under 50lbs.

He shot up like a weed at 4 months of age and then another at about 7 months.
Personally I hope he stays at this size as he is within the breed standard.

We have met a Vizsla that was 75 lbs....way too big for this breed. He was the size of Doberman or Weimaraner.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Vinnie is 9 months and kind of stopped growing in height now, he is now starting to fill out. He is about 22.5" and 22Kg.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dexter just turned 1 last week. He's 24 1/2 inches and weighs 62 lbs. Scarlet is almost 4 months. She is 18 1/2 inches and weighs 29 lbs.

I think you're guy is probably a little tall at that age but you can't really tell. Sizes vary tremendously as you can see in some other threads on this forum.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi BenAS, breed standards are fine if you want to show but if you've got him as a pet then I wouldn't worry if people say he doesn't 'fit the norm' if he's healthy, happy and loved does it really matter what size he is. Scooby's 14 mths and he's about 25'' (hard to measure cause every time I go near him he thinks it's play time) when last weighed he was 27Kg ( approx 60lbs) and he was always tall as a puppy. Alot obviously depends on the parents size but on a personal note I love his size and build and that's all that matters to me.
Enjoy your BIG boy !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Miss Ziva is 7 1/2 months old, 43 pounds and approx. 21 inches at the shoulders (moving V's are very hard to measure!) She is solid as a rock and I would give anything at age 55 to have a nicely defined back side like her!!!! HA!

And as a previous poster noted... if you are not going to show in conformation and your pup is happy, healthy and bonded to you then it really doesn't matter what size it is. Just love your V and be ready to receive oodles of love in return.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, we're not going to show him, so it does not really matter how big he is, I was just interested really.

We just weighed him and he came in at 17kg (37lbs). People keep telling us "he big" but i was not sure how much bigger, sounds like a bit but not massively so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In addtion to all the info already on this post I was wondering how long does it take for a vizsla to become full grown height wise? The reason I ask is that I have a 1 year old male and he measures about 20 inches and weighs about 45lb.. That is on the small side and am hopeing he will still grow some in height. Any help on how long it takes a Vizsla to become fully grown?
Sorry to intrude on this post but I just thought it would be better to respond and ask a question on this post rather than posting the same topic again in a new post.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I had the same question a while back and asked the breeder.
She told me that height wise could be up to 18 months and they usually stop growing at 24 months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone on this post experienced late growth spurts?
My dog has never really shot up.. it’s been pretty much a steady growth until about 10 months then nothing.. Plus he is extremely long for his height.. He is very disproportional..

·
Registered
202 Posts
When I asked my vet he said that they carry on growing till 18mths but generally the size they are at 12mths is roughly what they will be the last 6 is spent filling out, and that has been true for us,Scooby has really filled out around his neck and he's 15mths now. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just checked back in my records to see what size Catan was at 4 months. I don't have his height but he was 30 pounds at that age. He grew very fast and is tall for a V. He's now 14 months and is about 25 inches at the whithers and a very skinny 55 pounds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our boy is nearly 5 months and is 19.5" which is not too much smaller than your boy BenAS, but he's only 11.6kg! I get the opposite to you, where people tell how tiny he is and that I "should feed my dog". Oh trust me I feed him! He just burns it all off! My other V was the same and didn't put on weight until after he was desexed at 9 mths.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow.. our V is exactly the same age, weight and height as yours Marishavh uncanny.
You didnt get her from a breeder in Newcastle, NSW did you :D

I was worried for a while that our girl wasnt putting on weight, but she is starting to fill out slowly now...she just has so much energy :eek:)

I think she will be a little bit bigger then standard as her parents were on the big size...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We've just come back from the vet after our 6month check up and Digby is showing know signs of slowing down! He is weighing in at just over 27kg (60lbs) and is 64cm (25inchs) tall, and is still only a 7 1/2 month old puppy, the vet even said that he might be a little skinny!

We're still feeding puppy food for a large breed dog, but hoping that he will stop growing soon, as many people say that Vizsla keep growing until about 15-18months, by that stage we might have a horse on our hands.....

at what stage should I worry - or should I not!.. he's still great fun and his size doesn't seem to bother him!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi PP

Imli is almost 14 months now and comes in at around 21 inches in height at her shoulders. Weight wise she seems to be doing fine, its just the height that baffles me. The vet says she is in "great condition". She's our first vizsla and I just sort of presumed she'd be taller! We even got her a FULL size crate which she now uses to run around in :p

:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts