Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, someone asked me yesterday how old V's live to generally and I really wasnt sure. I must have asked the question at some point either of the breeder or of my vet but its something that obviously went in one ear and out of the other!! Tigger is now 10 years and 6 months. He recently went to the vets for his annual booster etc and they did the routine 'old man' blood tests which came back with great results. Whenever I take him to the vets, each vet likes to come and say hello and always comment on how he looks so young and fit. He doesnt have much grey in his muzzle yet and still walks for miles and miles with us. He is just occasionally showing his senior moments with stiffness but generally he looks fab! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
My V is only 8 months old, but when we went to the breeder last Summer, I met his parents and his grandfather who is 12 years old. Also, a couple of months ago I met a female V at a dog park who was very spry for her 14 years.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Clyde is 19 months old. I am waiting for that magical age of 2. I have heard many times that the age of 2 is when he will really "shape up" so to speak.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The first time we visited our breeder her old dog was 16. Sadly he wasn't there when we picked Merc up.

Doglover, Merc is now 3 and I am waiting for the magical age of 4 ;D

To be honest he did grow up a lot from 2 but we still have odd moments of inexplicably bad behaviour and quite a few people have told me it's 4 with gun dogs. Maybe they're just trying to make me feel better?

·
Registered
136 Posts
V's typical avg lifespan ranges from 12-15yrs...generally they are very healthy and long lifespan for a midsize breed...muhc lower cancer rates, etc, that you see in comparable sized breeds such as Labs, Goldens, BMD's and Boxers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Moose is almost 5 ...and I'm still waiting for 'the magical number' . He calmed down from the puppy stage, but I'm praying that the barking will quiet as he ages??

Does anyone else have a V who sounds like a monster when they bark- and they bark at a shadow on the sidewalk, when they're watching from the window?! You'd think I'd be used to it by now...but sometimes, he still makes me jump- and wakes the whole troop up... house will be silent, and Moose sees a leaf flutter across the street. BARK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts