Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

My husband and I have been in love with this breed for a few years! Recently we have decided that we might be ready to add one to our family!

My one major question is about crating.

We are planning to have the puppy stay in the crate at night.

My husband and I both work 9-5, 5 days/week.

Is this too much time to have the dog crated?

We plan on taking the dog for walks/runs each day after work and on the weekends.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am thinking maybe if we let the puppy sleep in a little bed in our room at night (not crated) that it won't be so bad to crate him/her during the day while we're at work?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hi there...great question.
If we could we would spend lots more time with our guy, but unfortunately we cannot.

Here is our typical schedule.

M, W & F - in the crate 9-6
T & TH - in the crate at 9, taken by his dog walker at 12, returned to crate at 5, we let him out by 6
S & S - not in the crate during the day unless we step out and cannot take him with us.

He sleeps in his crate all the time. Lately mind you (he's 13 months old) we let him sleep on our bed on Friday and Sat. nights....sometimes.

We never allowed him to sleep on our bed until he was a year. Not sure what would have happened if we tried it earlier in life.
Every book I read, as we ll as every dog person I met and even our dog breeder recommends letting them sleep in their crate. That's there SAFE place.
Perhaps once our guy is much older will we let him sleep outside of his crate.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the reply!

I am thinking maybe it won't be so bad to have him/her crated while we're at work as long as we ensure we pay lots of attention and exercise in the evenings and on weekends.

There is also a dog walking service close to my home - maybe we can have someone come a couple of times/week to do this during the day.

I am just asking because I am looking for a realistic/honest answer. I would NEVER want to do anything to a dog that would harm it (emotionally or physically).

In my research it appears that there are many people in a similar situation as us and it works for them.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Like I said, I would love to be around the guy 24/7 but that's just not possible.
Just the other day my boss and I were discussing what we do with Kian when we are not home. He was kind enough and suggested I bring him to the office, if I wanted.
I then showed him this video of what a Vizsla is like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSm5-e7uga4

Once he saw the video he asked if they ever calm down, I said perhaps in a few years. His response, well maybe in a few years you can start bringing him to the office :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a slightly different opinion on this than Crazy.....

I personally believe that 8 + hours per day in a crate is WAY too much for a young pup (I also imagine you didn't factor in your commute time when you mentioned you work 9-5). My main concern about this would be that it is best to feed a young pup three times per day - a breakfast, a lunch and a dinner and to try to have these meals spaced appropriately throughout the day. I would also worry about time for the "bathroom". The best rule of thumb to gauge how often you should let a puppy relief themselves is the age of the dog in months plus 1 (so a 2 month old pup should only have to hold their bladder for 3 hours at a time). Also, do you plan to take any time off work when you get the pup? Going from never being crated to suddenly being in there over 8 hours per day would be tramautic for a pup (again, only in my opinion). You would want to gradually increase to this.

I certainly don't want to deter you from bringing home a puppy (getting my Vizsla was one of the best decisions I've ever made!) I just want to make sure you really think about other options other than 40 hours of crating per week. Dog walkers are excellent (don't take a puppy for a long walk though....just have the walker feed it and play with it in the yard). This is what I did. Doggie Day Care would also work once your pup is vaccinated. It may also be a good time to ask your boss whether there is a "work from home" option a couple of days per week. I also did this and now work from home on Fridays!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Vespasia,

I have to admit that I had a senior's moment.
I totally forgot about when Kian was a pup.

YES, I totally agree with you. We would come home to let him out, feed him and play with him for 2 hours a day for his first 8 months. Once he turned 8 months we started to leave him all day, but that is also when we employed a dog walker for 2 days a week.
Sorry it seems so long ago that we got him.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys.

When we get the puppy I was planning on taking a week off from work so that I could spend a good 9-10 days straight with him/her.

I have found a good place close to home that will stop in each day for 15 minutes to feed and take the puppy outside to pee. ($280/month, not too bad).

I really appreciate all the input!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
To be truly honest with you I am probably going to come off rude. These dogs need to be loved all the time and really resemble small children. My brother just had puppies and would not have sold them to anyone who would be "crating" them for an entire day. They need to be part of your life as much as possible.
If you can, you should install a doggy door to allow him some sort of freedom and not place him in a crate.
my 2 cents

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi,

guess I am lucky that I work shifts and my wife is based at home for work so we rarely have the situation when we are both out all day. However when this does happen we absolutely would not leave her in a crate all day as she sleeps in her crate all night. It's not fair to any dog let alone a V with their attachment qualities!!

I have found a dog daycare place near to me and she goes there all day when we are not at home, walks, other dogs and people roune all the time so she never is alone. This is only for all day visits and she does spend up to a couple of hours in the crate during the day if I need to go and do something, but never more than that.

I would say that if you are working all day then a V is not the dog for you, sorry, they are just too much a people dog and it's not fair on them.

Just my 2 penneth,

Graham

·
Registered
85 Posts
Now I agree with everyone here, so don't get me wrong...but I do think there is a lot of value to making sure your V is comfortable alone in the crate for at least a few hours at a time (again, build a puppy up to this). Because of V's strong attachment to people, making sure they are comfortable being alone is invaluable. A Dog who is never on it's own and then suddenly is (something will come up at some point!) is far more anxious than a dog that has been conditioned to go into a crate and be cool 8)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I have the dog crated during the day (coming out mi-day to be fed and walked) then I will likely not crate her at night.

After speaking with the breeder about the issue he told me that if we did that then it will be fine for the dog - as long as she's not crated all night and then all day. In other words - choose either day or night for crating.

With that routine she will only be crated 4 hours then out for an hour and then crated another 4 hours.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi all,

Vespasia, I should say that what you mentioned is exactly what I did, built up the time alone and she is fine in the crate during the day for a couple of hours even though she is not alone much. Good point though and thanks for bringing it up.

Graham

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hobie has been going to Doggie Day Camp (Camp Bow Wow) on Tuesdays & Thursdays and it has made a WORLD of difference. The days after, she is completely exhausted and sleeps all day (with a nice break at lunchtime -we have someone come to the house to feed her and play for awhile).

We figured it's $25 for the entire day of day care (some days are discounted too) which is just a little more than we'd be paying someone to come for 30 minutes in our area. She LOVES it and they LOVE her there. I get to watch her on video. ;D

Since she is crated when we are not home, she sleeps in our bed at night. But I like your idea of having the dog bed in the bedroom. We may try this soon, as our bed is quickly shrinking.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
no way u can crate the dog all day!! our bailey would go crazy! she gets crated overnight and has a doggy proof area for the day. during the day if i am off but going out shopping etc i will crate her for no more than 3-4 hours. i would really worry about the impact ud have on a small puppy crating them all day. my hubby and i both work full time but we have a dog walker and family to pop in also! bailey is our first dog i love her to bits and wouldnt change her but i really never realised how much work a mad puppy is :D :D :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Fiona!

I've already set up a dog walker to come and take the puppy out each day for an hour so that she's not crated for more than 4 hours at a time.

In my discussions with the breeder we have decided that she will only be crated during the day and will sleep with us in our room in her doggy bed at night (bedroom door shut so that she can't get into trouble while we sleep).

Once house trained, we will work toward being able to leave her out of the crate during the day in a dog proofed area and will continue to have the dog walker come each day mid-day.

I sincerely appreciate all the responses - they have been super helpful and informative!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
thats sounds good

another tip if u have neighbours close by (like i do) i spoke to them when we got the puppy home and warned them about a bit of puppy howling for the first few weeks and apologised in advance - our girl went bananas for the first week crying all day and night every time she was in the crate!! our neighbours were much happier about it since they new it would come to an end soon ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great idea!

We have neighbors on both sides who also have dogs (who I sometimes hear barking inside).

I will definitely let them know about the new puppy. Luckily we live in a detached home so hopefully they won't hear too much noise!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Kim,

I think it is so awesome that you are seeking honest opinions from Vizsla owners. I have two Vizslas. We brought our oldest, Ajax, home over 6.5 years ago and then we got a puppy, Willow, 7 months ago. To be honest, I feel awful for how Mr. Ajax spent his puppy stage and the first few years of his life - these dogs get *very* attached to their owners and they require a significant amount of exercise and training time. My husband and I both worked full time when we got Ajax - at first, we had a dog walker come for him, but that was not enough. He cried a lot and he literally destroyed several crates. In fact, we walked him in the morning, the dog walker came at noon and then we played with him in the evenings - that was not enough. He was totally bored and I don't blame him.

We eventually put Ajax in day care 5 days/week and that did the trick - he was one happy dog. However, as he got older, he became less interested in day care and more interested in chilling on the couch. We love the breed like crazy and I used to run semi-professionally so Ajax was a great partner - but he still needed more love during the day.

We brought our second Vizsla home because our circumstances changed - I work full-time from home so I have time to play with the dogs in the morning, take them out several times/day and walk them 3 miles every day (rain, sun, or snow - we walk!). It has been beyond awesome. The puppy is thriving and she knows all of her commands - and she is not destructive because she does not have the option of getting bored. When we brought Willow home, I actually took almost 2 months off from work! I spent a lot of time warming her up to her crate, training her and just loving her - she literally wraps her paws around my neck and gives me hugs and kisses. She is the sweetest vizsla!

Best of luck with your little V! You are going to love him/her so much.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts