Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching for this but didnt find much. Let me know if its a taboo topic that I shouldnt have asked about. I became curious after reading a post about a guy who bought his V at a pet store. Im guessing there was probably no/little markup from the mill to the pet store (maybe one and the same) so i wouldnt be surprised if its close in price to breeders.

Initial investment wise, little Berkeley was $1700 from a breeder in upstate NY. I'm sure everyone that has had a V for a while looks back at their purchase price and laughs, I think Berk's expense has already doubled after all the goodies we bought him. When I was a little kid my parents had a V, they said they paid $500 but that was back in 1984.

I cant remember if I read it here on the forum or elsewhere but I saw someone say that the V breeder community tries to keep prices reasonable to deter puppy mills from breeding/ making a huge profit.

·
Registered
775 Posts
$1500 - this was the cost 2 yrs ago here in Florida. Not sure if it has gone up. I think there was a thread on the forum a while ago with this same question.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi Ruby Roo!

I think this is an interesting topic too. Our girl Nelly was £800 - not sure what that is in dollars, maybe about $1500? We got her from a very reputable breeder just outside the town we live in. To ensure pups went to the best home possible, our breeder took no reserves or deposits to avoid people having changed their mind but taking the pup anyway as they had already put money down.

I know our breeder was asked by some potential owners if she would drop the price but i don't see why anyone should pay less than the going price for such a healthy, intelligent, loyal and beautiful breed.

I think in the UK prices vary between £750 and £850.

Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link! Apparently I dont know how to use the search bar very well . . . .

Looks like Berk was around the going rate.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I rescued my guy from the shelter for $12. It was the end of the month and they were overcrowded, so I got the deal of a lifetime. @6 monthes he came to me microchipped, nuetered and current on shots. Best $12 I've ever spent

·
Registered
324 Posts
Our Riley cost $1100 from a "reputable" breeder. He is 2 now and have spent well over $12,000 for his care in the last year, but wouldn't trade him for the world. Chuck, we rescued and he was free. We've had problems off and on with ear infections and a round of demodex, but part of that stems from having absolutely no medical care his first year of life. He is healthy as a horse and didn't cost anything except a lot of love. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
giandaliajr ------- I'm new to this forum. My boyfriend and I are looking at breeders in upstate NY as we live in Binghamton NY. What is the breeder you got your little Berkeley from? we are set to look at pups outside of Rochester this saturday. That breeder is AKC and charges $1550 for theirs.
They have a 2 yr health guarantee on hips eyes etc for their pups as well.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We got ours from Ivy Acres Vizslas but she won't be having pups anytime soon. This was Ivy's last litter and the breeder kept one of the girls that I think she plans to breed. So probably at least a couple years before another round comes up, I'm not really sure how long they wait but I would guess at least 18 months.

·
Registered
58 Posts
UpstateV, we got milo from Mayne Haven Kennels in Burlington Flatts, NY. I believe she still has pups left from the last litter, we payed $750.00.

·
Registered
463 Posts
We got ours from a hobby breeder - $600. He's only five months, but I already know we're going to add a second someday. Looks like our second will cost more (or we'll try to find a rescue)!

FWIW, we have spent over $2000 on training already. So I know the initial cost is nothing over their lifetime!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
We paid $1600 for our girl in January.
Seemed like a reasonable price to me since she has some really good lineage.
I am scared to do the math on what we have spent since. Needless to say she is spoiled. Worth every penny though.
Rudy, you have it right.......priceless!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts