Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a5 month old V, and just found out that the wife and i are expecting. she is really worried about our V being too rough and dangerous around a baby. because he still likes to bite and wrestle and has a ton of energy. any advice???

the biting, ive tried ignoring him, saying ouch real loud, etc, but every night it seems he goes on a little rampage where he wants to wrestle and rough house.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Most of mine took about 18-24 months.

V's are really good around children. They will chase 'em though if they start to run and squeal, but being that you're talking about the newborn. toddler stages while your dog is maturing, I don't think that other than curiosity you should have too many worries. It sounds like you have some time to figure out a routine.

Still though, almost all of the V's I've ever met use those front paws like a cat to check things out so you would have to watch out for any "pawing", and I definitely wouldn't leave a newborn/toddler unattended around any dog.

·
Registered
105 Posts
At 18 months ours is just now maturing enough to be calm when needed. Except when she has gone for too many days without a good chunk of exercise due to weather, schedules, etc. Our daughter was just a year old when we got our V and they have gotten along really well. She (the dog) seemed to know from the beginning that the baby was off limits for rough housing. Even in her wildest moments (or hours) I can't remember her once jumping on my daughter, nipping at her, or doing anything intentional to cause her to cry. I wish I could say the same for my wife and me. Of course there is lots of being knocked down from accidentally backing into each other, jumping over, stepping on, and being hit by the constantly wagging tail.

There have most definitely been trying times when we doubted that we made the right decision. We still have issues of toys being stolen and destroyed for attention getting. How often I have thought, "I can't chase her, because that will just encourage the behavior. But if I don't, she's going to chew up the favorite, irreplaceable doll/toy/blanket."

Now at almost 3 and 2 they have become great friends. There had countless dance parties to Jingle Bell Rock together and our daughter knows all of the obedience commands and they play hide and go seek with each other.

Now we are also expecting a new baby and I am optimistic that it will be fine, if not a little more tiring than usual. The biggest challenge we see is my wife's limited ability to give the dog exercise during the pregnancy and with a newborn. That leaves me for walks and trips to the dog park, but I leave early for work and our V refuses to walk away from the house when it is still dark, but that's a different topic. We also know this baby will have to be protected more when on the floor, pacifiers always kept out of reach, and high chairs will present quite the challenge. We're actually working right now on training her to lie down on a mat while we are eating at the table and to not move even if food is dropped. I'm not sure if we'll fully get there.

My only advice is to keep at training and establishing different, good ways to play with the puppy and to have lots of ways to let him get his energy out. It will all pay off in the end. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts