Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is going to be a a weird post on this forum. But I’m looking for your opinion on it, since I’m a bit unsure about the behaviour of my V.

My V: Frida (but we call her Fred), is turning 3 in April. She has always been a very easygoing V, even as a puppy she wasn’t biting or terrorizing us at all, she loved to sleep. When she was 1,5 we had a baby and she needed a few months to get used to the fact she wasn’t getting all the attention anymore. She tried to play with us everything we cuddled the baby. But with a strong place command she learned to be part of the family in a relaxed way. Since then, she alerts us when there are strange noises in the house, or people entering the house at night. During those teenage years I did struggle with her constant need for attention and proximity, as I think many of us on the forum do. I spent a lot of time training and doing courses with her to keep her stimulated.

Since she turned 2,5 she really slowed down. A LOT! After breakfast and potty time, she snoozes until 11AM in her cozy cave. I take her out for 1h to 1,5h off leash walk, usually including search exercises (find hidden items in the bushes). And then she snoozes the rest of her day. She only needs potty breaks every 5 hours or so, but goes directly back home after.

She spends all her time sleeping in her cave, or next to me when I’m around. She wakes up to have dinner and then immediately returns back to her cave, by herself. When she was a teenager it took a lot to keep her in her place while we had dinner, but now she just patiently waits by herself and when we are done she cleans up and goes back to her cave. In the evening she lies on the couch with us, snoozing and cuddling.

I’d say out of 24h she snoozed more than 20h. Sometimes I fear she is depressed, or I’ll. But she is super energetic when we’re outside, has zoomies, eats and poops very well (even pretty much at the same time every day). Her coat is super soft and shiny and we get a lot of compliments on her physique (perfect combination between skinny and muscular).

I thought V’s wouldn’t really slow down with age, and this has such a significant change. But it’s like I have a V who’s not really behaving like one. Can they sleep too much? When would a slow V alarm you?

Dog Furniture Comfort Dog breed Carnivore

Window Wood Plant Road surface Twig

Leg Fawn Barechested Human leg Foot

Outerwear Furniture Couch Comfort Textile

Furniture Wheel Wood Chair Comfort

· Registered
106 Posts
My girl is just over 2 years old, and I've noticed she is much more chill. Can snuggle and nap a larger chunk of the day. But when it's on, ITS ON. She still has all the drive and stamina that she had at six months. I think she has just adjusted to our lives and schedule, which consists of us being away at work as well as just enjoying normal down time. If she had her way, we would go and go and go all day long (which we do when at our cabin up north). If you're unsure, maybe it's worth a check up at the vets just to rule out any medical issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts