Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked Frida up 2 days ago. She is such a perfect 8 week old puppy! Sleeps at least 20h a day and crate training is going well. She goes in her crate by herself to sleep during day. During night she falls sound asleep the minute we turn off the lights. I wake her up at 3 a.m. and then she sleeps again in her crate without any whining until 7 a.m. She contracted a UTI at the breeder and is still on meds. We had some accidents in the house but what else can you expect.

Her biting isn't that bad (yet). She grew up with her big sister around and I feel she already has great bite inhibition. When she bites my hand by accident when playing tug of war it's much harder than her soft nips in my feet or hands. I really hope she continues such a gentle pup.

We only focusing on crate training, routine, house breaking and door manners at the moment. No tricks. She knows 'sit' from the breeder.

Still there's some things I could use some advice on:

1. She is constantly whining for attention, either trying to crawl on my lap or play with me. Sometimes I give in and have her sleep and cuddles on my lap for a bit, she loves it. I do too, I chose this breed for a reason. But I also want to encourage her to be as independent as a velcro vizsla puppy can be. Preparing her to bring her to work 3 days a week. How do I encourage her to be independent (I know she's still a baby now, so can't ask for much, but I want to work on the future Frida). Now, I just ignored her for a while and she just went to her crate for a nap after 30 minutes of begging to get on my lap to nap. Is there anything else I can do to teach her whining doesn't get her anything?

2. She's still quite hesitant when we go outside for potty. She has picked up peeing outside, but poops in the house in the morning right after her walk because she's too overwhelmed to poop outside. She never want to go outside and sits at the door refusing to go. I usually pick her up after trying for a minute or two. I carry her to her spot (which is quite far for her anyway) and after she is done she walks back with more confidence. Even her tail goes up. If we meet any strangers or dogs on the way she starts shivering and begs me to pick her up. For now I do, especially with dogs. I let stranger pet her. Dogs I keep away from. I will introduce her very slowly to 2 dogs I know very well in a few days.

I'm not worried about both, I mean she's a 8 week old puppy that's pretty much being the most perfect puppy I could wish for. But, I do think it would be good for both situations to boost her self esteem a bit, make her grow some confidence. Any ideas on how you could start this with an 8 week old puppy? And games or things I can do with her outside?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
At just 8 weeks old she is nowhere near developed. She still has her puppy brain, and may not actually have her far vision just yet, she will in a few more days. By 9-10 weeks she should have full vision, and her eyes will begin to change color. They're probably still blue.
Everything about her world just got turned upside down, and she needs to process it as best she can with her developing faculties. This is the time for the two of you to bond. She desperately needs you to be in charge for a week or two. She needs the comforting and soft low whispers to relieve her anxiety and soothe her. Pick her up as often as you can.
Keep her away from both other dogs and people. I know everyone wants to pet the puppy, but it can overwhelm her, and pass on bacteria which she is not yet ready to handle. In the US we usually have a 4-6 week regimen of shots and vet checks before the puppies are "let out".
When she gets comfortable she'll start to exlpore on her own and check out new things, but as of right now, everything is different and she is uncertain. The shivering is her way of communicating anxiety to you. She's afraid in that moment, and needs you to take charge. Pick her up, place her close to your chest, and soothe her. It's not "giving in", it's nurturing.
There is a lot for her to learn.
Let her be a puppy for the next few weeks or so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are absolutely right! I have been giving her lots of support the last 3 days. Picking her up when dogs or strangers approach. Reading your reply made me realize I just forgot how much of a change it is for her to move in with us, since she is so relaxed about everything indoors.

Guess what.. this morning she completely came out of her shell. She now realized strangers are fun, she is even approaching dogs when they're coming towards her gently. She was even inviting to play, which was really great to see.

She got her 2nd shot and is protected, but not fully until her last (in 2 weeks) so I only let her play with dogs have had all their shots.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm glad to hear that she she's starting to explore her surroundings. She's a healthy, happy, confident, girl if she doing this.
They develop so darn fast between weeks 8-9, and then again, 9-10. By 12 weeks they have their adult brain and by 14 weeks they can begin to processing information on a fairly complex level.
In "puppy psychology", during weeks 8-10, her associative memory abilities begin to develop. This is why they have the attention span of a gnat, because their brain is processing more information than it can handle, which is why,we, the human, have to keep repeating ourselves with them. They remember bits and fragments of each lesson, and interaction, and just need the lesson repeated a zillion times until the have all the data.
Weeks 8-12 are critical for development.
Each puppy is different though. Some are very quiet and pleasant, and some, like mine, were an unholy little terror as a puppy. Finn was just an awful little puppy.
There were no "cuddles" with Finn, ever! Not one session as a puppy.Everything was a full on cage match with a little 9lb. demon. He's no longer that way thank goodness. He grew out of that phase between weeks 16 and 18. You can pet Finn now, but in the beginning, No way! It was not going to happen. If you tried to pet Finn between weeks 8-14, and there was going to be blood!
Enjoy your new girl and have lots of fun happy times for the next two weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't believe how fast she learns and grows.

In preparation of getting Frida I've read all the puppy files in this forum. I was ready for a peeing and crying little shark, but I really guess I got lucky. She is getting more boisterous and confident by the hour but still she prefers to snuggle. Not a scratch on my arm yet!! She prefers her bully stick over my skin. She sleeps at night without a single cry, I wake her up at 4 AM for pee and put her back in her crate so we can sleep until 7 / 7.30 AM. She doesn't sleep in our bedroom and is completely fine with that. The moment the lights turn of she's sound asleep.

I wonder if I really got a Vizsla or just a very nice looking Lab sometimes ;-) But then she comes up for snuggles and attention. I must've hit jackpot -or prepare myself for a very crazy adolescence- but no puppy blues for me at the moment. Hopefully it'll stick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts