Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Does your V dig holes in your yard? I have a book about V's in which they are described as "mischievious diggers". I think maybe back hoes or trench diggers would have been a better description. Actually its not that bad but their digging efficiency is quite remarkable. I have filled in several holes only to have them re-opened! It is funny how they like to dig in the same hole. They aren't all big either. I have one very small one about the size of a large coffee cup right under my gate. I fill it in, she digs it out again. It's quite funny really. ;D

If your V is a "mischievious digger", let's start posting some photos of the holes and see who has the biggest or the most craters in their yard!

I will have to get a photo in the next day or so.

·
Registered
186 Posts
YES!!!

Much to our thrill Rio has just figured out this genetic skill. Between the urine stained grass spots and the newly formed deep ground V orbs - our backyard is ready to be photographed for the cover of Lawn and Garden Magazine :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, definitely!

Made the mistake of leaving him in the garden while I went to make a drink, came back to a 12 inch hole right in the middle of the lawn!! We've also had several plant pots emptied with soil and compost ALL OVER the back yard and the dog with a very black nose and muddy paws!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have just spent most of the Easter weekend moving the clothes line and vegetable garden behind a protective fence. Everytime we put blood and bone fertilser in the garden it becomes a V magnet!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I dont have much of a yard this spring.Same amount of land just no grass to mow and lots of holes to fill anyway it beats mowing the lawn

·
Registered
150 Posts
Uhm...YES! What's the deal!? I guess I had not read about the hole digging trait. Must be something with that nose of theirs! Even though we had him last summer, this is the first season he's started digging. And, it is always in the same spots. But we've noticed it's where there are buried roots...the guy cannot get enough of sticks, etc., that now he digs the roots of the shrubs up! Otherwise, he doesn't dig anywhere else.

This is more a shallow grave than a hole..but you get the idea (keep in mind we recently bought the house and the yard looks like crap anyways! So Loki didn't all of that.):

That blasted stick chewer:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Vlicked said:
Uhm...YES! What's the deal!? I guess I had not read about the hole digging trait. Must be something with that nose of theirs! Even though we had him last summer, this is the first season he's started digging. And, it is always in the same spots. But we've noticed it's where there are buried roots...the guy cannot get enough of sticks, etc., that now he digs the roots of the shrubs up! Otherwise, he doesn't dig anywhere else.

This is more a shallow grave than a hole..but you get the idea (keep in mind we recently bought the house and the yard looks like crap anyways! So Loki didn't all of that.):

That blasted stick chewer:
[IMG]
[/quote]

This is a bit off topic but this post is the 1000th post here at HVF :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
I could plant shrubs or maybee small trees in the holes that Duke and Riley are digging in my yard.I think I am going to give up on a lawn this year,Unless I fence off part of the yard.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Phoebe will really try to chew up and sometimes eat sticks and stuff. If we are at the beach she will dig holes in the sand - but it only started when she saw other people digging then she went to dig as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tizane thinks that every leaf she passes by must be chewed so I don't think I will have any shrubs come next year. Sticks, branches, tree trunks. If she can get it in her mouth, she's gonna chew it. My husband jokes that she is a closet vegetarian. Vegetarian maybe but there's nothing closet about her. She's not bad about digging yet, but I know her time will come.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi,
Is that A wireless fence collar on your V's neck? how do you like it?
thanks,
Ccarolyn

·
Registered
150 Posts
Blaze said:
Hi,
Is that A wireless fence collar on your V's neck? how do you like it?
thanks,
Ccarolyn
Who's the question for? I don't have one...everyone I've come across who's ever had a wireless fence, their dogs have become immune to it after a period of time!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts