Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My V is 2 years old. He has a small hole above his nose where the fur starts. I believe he was born with the hole. I never thought much of it until he had soft tissue swelling further up his snout with pus coming out of the hole. He was treated with antibiotics and it cleared up. I am not sure what to do next. What is to stop this hole from getting infected again? Thinking of getting a CT scan so we can get a better idea of the anatomy of the hole. If anyone has had any experience with this, I welcome your info. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: Blue has what is called a Nasal Dermoid Sinus. It is a rare genetic anomaly. Off to the vet tomorrow to let him know we figured it out. Hopefully surgery will be scheduled soon to remove it and Blue will be good as new. Thanks for all of your help, jk, no one answered, lol. Maybe this will help someone else out if they ever find one on their V. I attached a picture showing the hole for reference.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,705 Posts
Sorry.
So glad you replied, and posted a picture.
Blue sure is handsome.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wow, I have not ever seen or heard of this before! Thank you for posting about it. Did you notice this hole ever since a puppy or only just recently? I hope that you find a fix and there are no more complications from genetic condition.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thx for pic, a direct entry into nasal/sinus cavity seems like a bad idea. I would probably want it plugged (there are bone putty type mixtures that are used in facial/bone reconstructions in humans or perhaps they can do a different surgical close) as he is still relatively young. I wonder if this abnormality stems from these being extremely fine boned dogs. Good luck; he's a handsome guy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recall Blue having the hole when we got him at 8 weeks, but never thought much of it until he had the swelling and pus when he was almost 2. The breeder does not recall the hole and does not know if any other pups from the liter or any other liters they have had have it. If it is a dermoid sinus, it is a genetic condition that occurs in development as an embryo. It happens in humans also. It is rare, but there seems to be more documentation of it in Ridgebacks along their spine. I will be taking him to the University of Florida Vet school in a couple weeks. They will do a full work up and diagnostics so we can come up with a treatment plan.

·
Administrator
8,705 Posts
I was hoping you were going to have someone, other than your regular vet check him out.
Looks like you have a excellent plan in place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi- this is Sue, new mom of 16 month old Maverick. We adopted him 2 weeks ago & I noticed a small hole above his nose but no apparent problem. Looks just like your picture only maybe smaller. Please share what you found out so I can be proactive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just researching this now as my 3yo Husky/Shepherd mix has an identical issue. Hole above nose, no issues until this year when it had puss discharge back in Feb/March… cleared up. Now here we are in July and it started with puss discharge, then started to swell and now has a bloody discharge. Vet has him on antibiotics and we follow up in a month while he as researchers to see what he can find. Were you able to get a diagnosis. Any information would be appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts