Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our now 4 year-old male Zoltan dislocated his hip a little over a year ago while roughhousing with my son.

It was popped back into place and after a recovery period he seemed to be doing well

Well about 6 months ago we noticed his gait was "stiff"
he went to vet and was prescribed a joint supplement and PREVICOX. After a couple weeks his mileage on his daily run went up by 2 plus miles from 6-7 to 8-9 miles a day and you could tell he was smoother running. He has been off the PREVICOX for a few weeks now and his mileage is dropping and looking stiff again. (PREVICOX is for short term use)

We are setting up an appointment with vet to xray his hips again .\and discuss.
He has been a little cranky lately which if he is in pain I can understand.

Just looking for idea's suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
712 Posts
Last year i noticed with my almost 4 year old some back stiffness post heavy dock diving season, and lots of roughhousing with younger vizsla. We used chiropractor help and it helped, also put him on supplements. Chiropractor also showed some massaging and stretching exercises, just as reminded us about the importance of warm up and cool down before and after exercise. So he gets now much more attention on that area which for being a vizsla he seems to enjoy a lot.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Before she passed, my chow mix was on grapiprant for arthritis. It works differently than cox inhibitors and it supposed to be less damaging to the liver so more suitable for long term use. Talk to your vet.

She also got anti-inflammatory and joint health supplements including, fish oil, turmeric/curcumin, and the Advanced Hip and Joint chewable from Springtime, Inc. which contains MSM, glucosamine, chondroitin, and boswelia serrata.

And yeah, like Gabica advises, mobility and massage can be very helpful. Here's one video that goes through joint manipulation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts