Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hiking a lot with Pillu ( he is a 1 year old male V). I live in Northern Virginia, I often go on the Potomac Heritage trail , Seneca Bridle trail etc....( may be familiar if there is anyone from this region here). Winter was no worry about snakes...but now with Spring and summer...the snakes are coming out. I haven't seen one on a trail yet. I did have one in my backyard recently 馃樁. There aren't many venomous snakes in this region, but there are a couple (Copperheads and Water Moccasins)...We have been enjoying the semi-off leash time ( check cord) on the trails. I have not done any kind of snake avoidance training for him...I was wondering if its advisable to do it. Also , how does it help if the dog is just zooming around in the woods and suddenly darts off into the woods and brush , I somewhat worry there is a chance that he may startle a snake resting somewhere in there, without even knowing, not sure if snake avoidance will even help in this scenario. Any advice would be great. If there are people from this area , would love to hear what your approach is.

Registered
Our female got bit by a Massauga ... Not very big snakes and very low potential for death?injury.
We could see the puncture wound in her lip. Quick trip to emergency. Steroids if I remember/ did not do anti venom. ($$$$$$$$$$) waited around for a few hours. No issue . Would have done anti venom but vet said no need if she was doing ok.

I see one about every other year. Only rattlesnake in MI.

I am more worried about Coyote's.

They do find other snakes and a water snake can be a mean son of a gun.

Registered
I also worry about copperheads in NC and am curious about training to avoid. Something I plan on looking up.

Administrator
All my dogs go through snake avoidance clinics, and also get the red rock snake vaccination yearly.
My only caution is if you plan on bird hunting with your dog. Make sure they are well started on birds, before doing a snake avoidance clinic. It does not happen often, but every once in awhile you get a dog that will become overly cautious in the field, if bird intro hasn't been done first . Any movement they see on the ground, or stick that resembles a snake they high tail it out of there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts