Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My name is Kata and I picked up my V pup Luna 2 weeks ago (she is now 12 weeks). She's a very brave and curious little girl, and she is as velcro as they come! Despite having the need to be in physical contact with a human at all times, she's doing quite well in the crate-training department. I've started clicker-training her, but her attention span is still very short so we haven't gotten very far yet. If there is one thing I'm most worried about, it is having her pay attention to me outdoors. My kissy-noises, leg-pats, and even treats don't seem to measure up to the endless smells, twigs and dirt to be discovered out there. If anyone has any tips on how to start building a good foundation to loose-leash walking, or just in general reminding her that I exist when we go outdoors, they would be much appreciated! I have to keep reminding myself that I can't expect her to fully pay attention to me because everything is still new to her, but at the same time I don't want to let her get away with pulling, because it will only get worse with time.

Anyhow, enough rambling for one introductory post. I came across these forums today, and I'm happy to have found such a supportive group of Vizsla lovers. This is my first dog, and while I love her to bits, at times she is a little overwhelming!

Look forward to chatting with you :)

Kata & Luna

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome, she is only very young but i remember having all the same fears. It does get better, there is a lot of useful advice on all the thing you mentioned on the forum. Lovely pics by the way

·
Registered
809 Posts
Welcome to both of you.
Luna is a pretty little thing.

We're in Toronto too, where abouts are you? We're in the Yonge/Eg. area

You will have lots of fun with her.
I wouldn't worry about her not recognizing you right now when you take her out. Kian would forget we were attached to the other end of the leash for the longest time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the hellos =)

Crazy said:
I live near Bathurst & Eg and I head over to Yonge Street on the regular. Where do you usually walk Kian? I'm probably gonna be spending lots of time on the Beltline and in Cedarvale Ravine once Luna's old enough. There are so many great parks & trails in this city.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome to the forum! She is a gorgeous wee V.

Clicker training is excellent; I used it to train Rossi to heel pretty quickly by clicking and treating close to your left leg...although, at that age it will involve alot of bending on your part!...it gets easier as they get older though

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Luna is a very pretty little girl. The sweater looks great!

I wouldn't worry too much about her paying strict attention at her age. She just isn't going to do it, and you really don't want her too. She needs to explore everything around and catalog all the different stimulation for her mental development. At this point I would just try to provide her a safe environment to explore.
At 12 weeks she knows that you exist, and she's probably very aware of exactly where you are. If she wasn't she wouldn't venture off to explore. her confidence comes from you at this point.

She is the perfect age to begin leash training. Keep your sessions short, 5-10 minutes max done multiple times throughout the day, and always end up on a positive note with lots of playing and physical interaction. No harsh treatment,and any correction should be very gentle. Let her explore first, and then move onto the lessons, or you'll be fighting her nature the whole time.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Luna said:
Thanks for the hellos =)

Crazy said:
I live near Bathurst & Eg and I head over to Yonge Street on the regular. Where do you usually walk Kian? I'm probably gonna be spending lots of time on the Beltline and in Cedarvale Ravine once Luna's old enough. There are so many great parks & trails in this city.
Yep, very small world.
We are actually at Eglinton/Ave Rd. So just down the road.
We're a 3 minute walk to the Beltline and we usually go to Cedervale.

Look forward to Kian and Luna meeting up.
This summer should be fun, we always head out of the city to some of the forest/conservation areas with 2 other Vizsla's. Once Luna is older she will have to join the group.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What a beautiful little girl. I agree with Gunnr, short sessions multiple times a day because their attention span is short, short , short. She'll pick it up quicker than you think and then you'll have a happy heeling pup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself so there is no confusion over another Luna! My name is Daniel and I am Kata's boyfriend. I am also Luna's summer daddy while home from school. One day I'll get upgraded to full-time status. I've had the chance to meet some of you friendlies and your awesome Vs over the past few months and thought it was about time I got up on the forums so I could keep in touch over the year.

Hopefully we can arrange for one more get together before the summer is over. Luna misses her friends!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts