Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just a quick introduction: my name is Jonathan and I'm from Johannesburg, South Africa. I'm the proud owner of Amalia, a 14 month old Viz (btw, Amalia is the Hungarian version of the name Emily). We have had her for almost 6 weeks now.

Many ups and downs, but we are finally seeing many, many improvements. There were times we were despairing and I was sure I made a huge mistake getting a Vizsla. I still sometime think she is a cross Vizsla - T-Rex due to her nipping and chewing! She has had a couple of sessions at Puppy School and that has also helped. But basically she is a very energetic little pup. We have learnt that when Amalia has a energy attack, we need to get her outside and chasing a ball or something until she is nearing exhaustion! Then she is her affectionate self again. :)

So far:
Bad points: Amalia nips and jumps up against our young children and my wife (but not me). She has started digging in the garden. She out played all the other puppies at Puppy School (she had a pit bull cowering in under 10 minutes and exhausted the border collies in 20 minutes). ::)
Good points: Amalia is very affectionate and she wants to please us. She is very trainable (e.g. she was toilet trained within the first few days and hasn't had a mistake for weeks). She loves chasing and retrieving balls with the kids. She also loves our Maine Coon cat (who unfortunately doesn't think much of her and he will smack her whenever he can).

Thanks for the great forum. I'm enjoying it!

Cheers,
Jonathan

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hi, Jonathan! Sounds like you do have your hands full with Amalia (love her name!), but I think what you have experienced is really just normal Vizsla puppy behaviour. How is she doing currently? I'm a volunteer with the local Humane Society, and here is what they taught me about puppy chewing. If your puppy chews on something "unauthorized", what you should do is go get a newspaper, roll it up, and smack yourself over the head with it -- because you weren't supervising closely enough. Chewing is normal puppy behaviour. Best wishes to you, your family, and Amalia!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi Jonathan! Congrats on Amalia! It sounds like you have a typical V :D Full of energy, easily trained, enjoys play and being near the family. We quickly learned that a tired V is a much better behaved V! Our Pumpkin (6.5m) is no exception. Unfortunately, her terrible jumping is not an exception either. This is our main challenge right now. All other training has come pretty easily. Not only does Pumpkin jump, she does it with exuberance and power! Our 3 kids are frequently taken down in the process :eek: Vs are great dogs as long as their owners have the time & energy. Welcome to the forum!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts