Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like to say "hi" to everyone on the site and to give you a brief doggy history.

Sadly we had to get our 16yr old Border Collie put to sleep a few months ago because of illness.

A few years ago we were thinking about getting another dog but didn't think it was fair on Trim (our collie) as she was starting to show her age. Anyway, i've been lurking around various Vizsla sites over last few years and we knew even though it was sad to lose her, we wanted another dog in our family lives.
Now the children are older (12&14) we felt their at a good age to help bring up a dog so we researched breeders and went on a waiting list. We pick up our pup (a bitch) a week on Friday. Although we are all excited, we are aware of how difficulty it could be but are prepared to put the work and understanding in.
Luckily (or unluckily ) for me, i'm on the sick at present so i'll be at home most of the time for at least the 1st 8 weeks. After that, when we are at work, my dad who lives 5 minutes away will look after her and take her on walks with his two 4 yr old Border Collies.

Simon

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hi Simon1,
Welcome to you and your family to the site. Me and our family found the site a few months ago now, we have a 2yr old male Viz called Brook. He is our first dog and has been a 'Fab' addition to our home. It's been a steep learning curve for all of us, high energy, lots of exercise, very 'STICKY' I could go on!!!!
You All must be so excited about your new 'addition' coming very soon? We also have two children both in there teens and Brook has been great with them both.
You've had a dog before so you're sort of 'experienced', but boy this breed is something else (VELCRO is not the word!!!)
Anyway welcome, enjoy the site and hope to speak again.

Dave & Jo (Wales, UK)

P.S.

Take loads of photos, they dint stay small for long, and post some on the site!!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Here is another example of the lengths you "should" be prepared to go for in order to really attempt to have a fully content Vizsla.

It's been very wet in Melbourne and even with four days of sunshine, it only took some rain last night and all of this morning to turn my back yard into a water soaked mud pit. Add to that an 8 month old V and a 14 month old GSP running around in it all morning. So, by the time I got home for their lunchtime walk, I couldn't let them inside or near me (I wear a suit at work) before they got thrown in the tub. So, quickly strip out of my suit, into my dirty dog walking clothes and let the two of them into the laundry for a bath, before I walk them!!!

While I am changing, my V is crying. Running to the bedroom door to outside wimpering like he has had his leg cut off. then back to the laundry door. Jump up on the outside of the door crying. Back to the bedroom door crying.

Then, when I finally let him into the laundry, he cries while I bath him, cries while I towel him off and cries watching my GSP have a bath and towel off. He stops crying about a minute after he gets inside the house!! :) That's a V!

(I will say, I share custody of my V with me Ex OH. She has not had him at my place more than a couple of nights a week of late, so he is probably a little more sooky at the moment due to missing his mum and his other house, more than anything else. But, he is a sook, even regardless of that.:) )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave & Jo.

Our collie was an outside dog so i'm looking forward to have a dog inside (more so the velcro kind :) ) I've been lazy for the last few years as our old girl couldn't walk any great distance for a good few years so am really looking forward to getting out and about a lot more.

Also, camera is primed and ready and the countdown is on... 8 days to go ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts