Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Fish i found makes a nice smelly treat. If u cna buy them freeze dried they are very transportable. And here is a recipe we like too. When i say we, mom does too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Fish i found makes a nice smelly treat. If u cna buy them freeze dried they are very transportable. And here is a recipe we like too. When i say we, mom does too.

That’s an easy recipe! I just bought sardines to test Freds love for fish! Guess I’m going to bake today 😄

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know it’s kind of gross but you can try putting the treats in ur pocket instead of treat pouches. A lot of dogs will cue in on the pouch or the hand that’s always delivering the food. I want the dog looking at me, not the food! Hehe

fill up ur pockets and they’ll start paying more attention and you’ll get more eye contact ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fred is now 11,5 weeks old and being a typical puppy.

She knows ‘sit’, ‘down’ and a very selective ‘no’. If she’s having fun with either a toy or tearing down our furniture, there’s no way to grab her attention. Yes, In our frustration we even yell “FRED NO” but as expected, no success. Outside, we are by far the most boring object. Recall never works. We went to puppy class and she was all over the place. But definitely not focused on us.

The trainer said to upgrade our treats but except from hotdogs, I haven’t found anything that grabs her full attention. And those hotdogs are really hard to bring with you all the time. Any great tips on “the best treat your dog does anything for”???

Also, any other advice on how to become “THE person her world totally revolves around”, even outside, with pidgeons and other dogs around?

We haven’t taken her into the woods, or off leash a lot. We tried to keep her exercise to a minimum and max out on her sleep. I feel we might be able to exercise her a bit more off leash.
I have found the more I work with my dogs, training with expectation and positive reinforcement, the tighter the bond grows and the more their world revolves around me. I rarely use treats. Instead I give huge emotional rewards when they do something correctly. I don't punish when they do something incorrectly but I don't reward. They live for the reward and I never have to search my pockets for it; it's in my heart, my eyes and the big smiles and hugs they get. If the pup always gets a treat, when he does something right, his desire for the treat must outweigh his desire to do something else. You have exerienced the fail with that and I've seen it fail time after time. On the other hand I have never seen a dog in such ecstasy as when they have done something difficult for them (it can be as simple as the come when they're young) and you heap the rewards on them. That's what creates the bond you're looking for. You ask, they do, you reward...everyone is happy. :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts