Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some advice on how to deal with our 9 week old and his behavior with my human kids. My 7 year old loves Otto, but he is super jumpy, mouthy with her. He dives at her, bites her hair and is generally more aggressive and pushy with her. It isn’t a mean or vicious behavior just overly excited and hyper towards her. I don’t want to do anything that scares or intimidated him against her as he is still only 9 weeks, but is there anything I can have my daughter do...or avoid doing when he does this (for what it’s worth she gets scared when he does this) and anything I can do with the dig?
I’ve tried distracting him with toys, treats and will generally just pick him up so my daughter can get to the couch or chair.

·
Registered
199 Posts
We do not have young kids , but the jumping/ nipping is pretty much standard equipment wit a Vizsla pup.
At six months we saw a change in behavior to the good. If you can make it past 6-7 months of age things will get better.

We rehomed a 10 month old that the owner had young kids and they could not deal with it. She was nocking down the kids' and nipping.
They said she also had food aggression.

We brought her home and she went on a 5 mile run with our male and has been wonderful ever since.
She was not getting enough exercise. She has not been food aggressive with us at all. ON 1 type of bone she is protective with our male which she should be.

Make it past 6 months! They are the worst when not exercised enough or just before they crash for a nap.

·
Registered
139 Posts
At only 9 weeks old Otto's thinking and understanding brain isn't fully developed yet, he is still very much learning the World around him and will likely view your 7 year old daughter as another puppy in his pack and their main interaction with puppy siblings is through their mouth when that young.

You need to get to the 4-6 month old stage when things calm down somewhat, in the meantime you need to seperate them both physically using a pen like area of the room for Otto and the other side of the penned off area for your daughter. They can see and hear each other but it avoids the physical interactions until such time as you can either closely supervise or Otto calms down.

Vizslas are not generally aggressive dogs at all, but bouncy and mouthy as pups, so not much will distract him now until his brain is fully formed (becomes more adult like).

It will get a lot better, but it will take some weeks yet, he is very young.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts