Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 13 week old Vizsla boy. In the day he is pretty good and will ask to go out when he needs to go...9 times out of 10 anyway! However at night time it’s a different story. We are consistently waking up to wee and poo on the puppy pad in the morning, he isn’t crying to let us know he needs to go out. He’s in a crate where he sleeps with no issues and will spend time in the day ( if we go out for a couple of hours we usually return to wee on the puppy pad too). He is fed in his crate sometimes. I know he’s still only a baby but things just don’t seem to be getting better. We are taking food up at 6:30 and ensuring he’s done his business before going to bed at 10:30; we still wake up to mess! Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
7,998 Posts
Try a smaller crate, if it's not small already.
Remove the potty pad, and set a alarm at night.
Mid way through the night, take him out to potty.
You may have accidentally trained him to potty in the crate. He's young, and its fixable. No need to worry about how it went wrong. Just start with the new approach.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I don't have Vizsla yet :). But with my previous dogs, I got up every 2-3 hours until they were 5 months, and then once in the middle of the night from 5-9 months before my doggo was comfortable all night. I'd wake her up, take her out, and 9/10 times they would go.

But I'm here for all the vizsla specfic responses :), so thanks for the thread! My pup joins our fam in Dec!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your suggestions, we’ve made the crate smaller and fingers crossed, it’s making a difference, especially during the day when we’re out and about. We are going to try getting up with him again through the night, we were probably too hopeful to think he’d master it by 13 weeks bless him. Enjoy your pup Cesko! Our best decision yet 😁

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts