Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone we are in need of some help our Frederick is 4.5 years old a week ago he became subdued and wasn’t able to open his jaw fully, on walks he wasn’t interested in picking his ball up! We visited our Vets on Sunday and Monday this week having gone under sedation the Vets X Ray his head and jaw and said nothing was showing unusual his teeth were in good order, he had blood tests which came back normal and samples from his lymph nodes were negative although the Vet had said they were swollen he was prescribed some pain killers which have made him drowsy and he has a pain inflammatory liquid on his food - we were told to feed him on chicken and rice and exercise him on short walks without his ball. Day 3 after the Vets tonight he was eating his food when he yelped and started to tremble after reassuring him it was okay he went to sleep on our bed where I currently am with him! He won’t let us touch or stroke him as he gets nervous and his breathing is through his nose! Has anyone got any suggestions or has experienced a similar occurrence as it’s worrying and we don’t know what to do other than return to the Vets, he has no interest in anything but we put this down to the medications
Thank you in advance
Iain & Steph

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Did the vet palpate Frederick's neck and jaw area (I highly suspect he did)? At the time, was there any sign of sensitivity to touch and touch pressure in his jaw or neck area?

You mentioned Frederick's blood work came back normal. You also mentioned the vet stated Frederick's lymph nodes were swollen. Swollen lymph nodes, under normal (non cancer) circumstances, is very suggestive of infection. I'd be very interested in learning if there was even a marginal elevation of WBC. I'd also be very curious as to why the vet didn't prescribe antibiotics.

During the Vet visit, was Frederick running any kind of fever? Even a marginally elevated temperature?

From the timeline you've described, it seems this condition has come on very quickly... and then his yelping and expression of acute pain, while eating, etc. etc.

Personally, I'd be re-contacting the vet. Explaining the most recent symptoms. If your current vet doesn't take your concerns seriously, I'd be finding another vet.. for a 2nd opinion and further evaluation.

Physiologically, there's A LOT of complicated stuff in the mouth, throat and neck area!

Reactions: rsarvis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response I’m going to revisit the vet tomorrow with a view to asking more questions and insist on antibiotics - We didn’t notice a fever at all on visiting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts