Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just got my first Vizsla puppy home, Freyja, who’s 8 weeks old (obligatory cute puppy pics below). Been a long time lurker on this forum while preparing for her arrival and found it a great source of advice/what to expect. Wanted to introduce ourselves and say thank you for all the help thus far. Anyone got any other general advice / common vizsla specific problems to nip in the bud ? I’ve trained lots of puppies before but understand Vs are a bit special in many ways like the hugs they give ... absolutely loving those 🥰.
warmest regards
David & Freyja
85AC73DD-5D17-4861-A448-6DB4C93385B9.jpeg
FC24BFB0-A7AE-44FA-9922-5471FBD64E8B.jpeg
A5452FF2-44F5-492B-8608-A176DF228D60.jpeg

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Yes. Pretty looking little girl with nice paws!
She's gonna be a rock star with that build and those paws.
Have fun with her everyday.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello all,

Just got my first Vizsla puppy home, Freyja, who’s 8 weeks old (obligatory cute puppy pics below). Been a long time lurker on this forum while preparing for her arrival and found it a great source of advice/what to expect. Wanted to introduce ourselves and say thank you for all the help thus far. Anyone got any other general advice / common vizsla specific problems to nip in the bud ? I’ve trained lots of puppies before but understand Vs are a bit special in many ways like the hugs they give ... absolutely loving those 🥰.
warmest regards
David & Freyja
View attachment 102651 View attachment 102651 View attachment 102652 View attachment 102652 View attachment 102653 View attachment 102653
The most important thing you can do for your pup (and you) is make sure he firmly understands YOU ARE THE BOSS. It will pay big dividends throughout the many years (thousands of days?) you will be together. Be gentle at first but if it does not work within a few tries progressively become more firm. Do this CONSISTENTLY.. Use your size, body language, voice volume and tone as need be (intimidation?)....That's what most predators and scavengers do in nature and guess what?...they have been successful for millions of years....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. Pretty looking little girl with nice paws!
She's gonna be a rock star with that build and those paws.
Have fun with her everyday.
thank you I’m loving every minute, she’s been an absolute dream compared to my previous puppies. Really looking forward to when’s fully vaccinated and can go on adventures. Nothing better than watching dogs run and play at full pelt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The most important thing you can do for your pup (and you) is make sure he firmly understands YOU ARE THE BOSS. It will pay big dividends throughout the many years (thousands of days?) you will be together. Be gentle at first but if it does not work within a few tries progressively become more firm. Do this CONSISTENTLY.. Use your size, body language, voice volume and tone as need be (intimidation?)....That's what most predators and scavengers do in nature and guess what?...they have been successful for millions of years....
Thanks for the advice. I agree with you that a ‘firm but fair’ approach is the best way forward.

During lockdown, before Freyja got here, I was helping out an elderly neighbour with her teenage lurcher x staffie and although he doesn’t have a malicious bone in his body, was a total nightmare to take out, just unmanageable on or off the lead (though he lost off lead privileges on the first walk). Had clearly never been given any boundaries so did things like leap at peoples faces, bowl kids over like they were dogs and his favourite was to steal food from peoples hands and even bite through pockets to get at treat bags. Was mortifying, I had to tell her I couldn’t do it anymore.

Thankfully Freyja is taking to her training well, though working on building up her ability to focus, atm I’m lucky to get 10-15mins concentration out of her. But she’s so good otherwise I need to keep reminding myself just how young she is.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I agree with you that a ‘firm but fair’ approach is the best way forward.

During lockdown, before Freyja got here, I was helping out an elderly neighbour with her teenage lurcher x staffie and although he doesn’t have a malicious bone in his body, was a total nightmare to take out, just unmanageable on or off the lead (though he lost off lead privileges on the first walk). Had clearly never been given any boundaries so did things like leap at peoples faces, bowl kids over like they were dogs and his favourite was to steal food from peoples hands and even bite through pockets to get at treat bags. Was mortifying, I had to tell her I couldn’t do it anymore.

Thankfully Freyja is taking to her training well, though working on building up her ability to focus, atm I’m lucky to get 10-15mins concentration out of her. But she’s so good otherwise I need to keep reminding myself just how young she is.
Good !....you're in your way to many wonderful years....V's are fantasticl creatures.....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Absolutely adorable. Enjoy every minute of puppyhood. Best of luck....We miss those days with our two V's. It goes by so fast.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello all,

warmest regards
David & Freyja
View attachment 102651 View attachment 102651 View attachment 102652 View attachment 102652 View attachment 102653 View attachment 102653
Congratulations! She is beautiful! v's are not like other dogs, in general. They are very emotionally sensitive, & do very well with Positive training, no negative. When our V was a pup & was doing something or had something we did not want him to have or do, we used Distraction.method. We would take the item away & replace it with something he was allowed to have, to play or chew on. One tip our trainer taught us is "time-out", It worked like a charm. When we would sit on sofa with wine, to watch tv in the evening, Cashew would jump up & pounce all over us, ( we played with him all day!), so I would pick him up, & hook him up ( with tether) to the stairwell, removing him from the behavior we did not want. I would do this without any negative or positive emotion, & stand a few feet away from him while he protested, I would keep him on it for a whole 2 minutes, (he is a puppy), then I would release him without saying a word, then go back & sit on sofa. He would come back & do same thing, but after the 3rd time of repeating the time-out procedure, he understood that he would be separated from us if he jumped up on us & pounce all over. He stopped the behavior. They are very smart from the get-go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts