Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying hello since i just registered. We are expecting our little girl on June 25th. I noticed there weren't any stickies on training and crate training. Does anybody have any links?

Thanks,
Xander

EDIT: If there are any training books that you think are good, please let me know. :)

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hi, Xander -- I'm in Michigan and do volunteer work for the Michigan Humane Society. They have a pretty nice web site with lots and lots of training articles. Here's the link:

http://www.michiganhumane.org/site/PageServer?pagename=behavior_dogs

Another source, believe it or not, is YouTube! Just go there and type in what your interest is (loose leash walking, etc.) in the search box and lots of stuff comes up.

If you use the Michigan Humane Society web site, be sure to keep scrolling down, because the crate training info is down on the list a little ways.

Another thing to consider is puppy obedience class. Around here there are always classes being offered, either by professional dog trainers or by continuing education through the local school district.

I don't really have a particular training book that's my favorite, but there are a million of them out there. You can search on Amazon.com. With the Vizsla, I would recommend using only positive training techniques, because of their sensitive nature.
Congratulations on getting your new little bundle of joy!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Welcome Xander. June 25th will be here before you know it. As for the training and crate training. There are many posts just no stickies.
As for books, we just started reading "The Other End of the Leash" and it seems quite helpful so far. We also have been through 2 levels of obedience so far with our pup. She is still young though so it is a little difficult to get her to focus sometimes.
I agree with mswhipple, they are very sensitive and require positive training methods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts