Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am the happy owner of a Vizsla bitch aged 5 and the step-mother of another Vizsla bitch aged 8 (who lives with my step-son). We are hoping to acquire our third Vizsla, a dog this time, anytime in the next 8 weeks.

Saw a great litter of 3 week old Vizslas yesterday in Devon and seeing a pair of boys tomorrow.

Our V girl, Tinker, is from a falconry lineage and I am hoping that our new boy will have the same pro-hunting instincts in his line. We are fortunate to live in an environment where Tinker is able to stalk and flush prey daily. She is particularly interested in rabbits and pheasants but will settle for ducks and squirrels. At six months she was seperating a cow from a herd but we put a stop to that. Tinker's hunting instincts kicked in early and it was fascinating to see her quartering the fields without any instruction from us. I think her best moment was flushing out a deer from deep undergrowth and chasing it through the forest. We were amazed at the sight of her and the deer running through the woods. We could have been in medieval England or Hungary!

The other Vizsla in our family is K who is a wonderful, gentle lady. K grew up in London and has no interest in hunting whatsoever. Whenever she stays with us and goes on long walks with Tinker, she is totally disinterested in prey. I thought exposure to a rural environment that is prey-rich would rouse her hunting instincts, but in the six years we have been out here K has not shown even a latent hunting instinct, which I find very sad. This is why I am keen to have a boy who has hunting parents and will join our pack as a hunter.

We don't shoot (except with a camera) or otherwise kill animals that we hunt and to fulfill the "bargain" we have with our dogs, we feed them meat and bones after exercise. We also put down a high quality kibble for them to cover any vitamin and mineral deficiencies, but their primary diet is animal protein.

Anyway, nice to have found this forum and meet other Vizsla lovers.

All the best,

Simi

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hi Simi, Tinker & k,

Welcome to the forum, thought we would be the first to welcome you all!
We are Dave and Jo from South Wales(just across the water from you!!!!!), we only found the site last week and joined, don't know why it took us so long! anyway have fun on the forum, some really good posts on here.

D & J

OH yeah our 'Viz' is 2 yrs old and his name is Brook.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi D & J,

Thanks for the welcome.

I hope Brook is is keeping you on your toes. Do you live in the sticks or are you townies? What is Brooks favorite prey?

We are going to see some Vizsla puppies tonight and are hoping to find "our boy" amongst them. Sire and Dam are hawking dogs so fingers-crossed we will get the right dog tonight.

Will you be coming to the Viz Wiz on 18th September in Dartmoor?

See you on the forums.

Best wishes,

Simi

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hi Simi,

You must be excited about going to see some pups, takes us back when we first went to see Brooks litter when he was 4/5 weeks old. They all looked very similar at that stage, my daughter liked a pup the breeder had named 'Elvis', but we finally chose Brook (for our sins!!)
We had sort of first pick of the litter(7 boys and 1 girl), but we waited for a couple of weeks before making our minds up. Compared to his brothers who we've seen he's 'Huge' (not fat, just muscular!!)
We are 'townies', but Cardiff isn't that big and is surrounded by hills, rivers valley's etc... Really quite a good all rounder city for owning a dog.
Bit of a trek for us that Viz Whiz in September but its a possibility/maybe!!
Brook doesn't really have a favourite 'prey', he points for fun and stalks really well we love watching him when he's on scent, squirrels seem fair game at the moment!!!
We walk with a friend who has a 15 month old Weimaramer called Darcy, we think he's in love with her!!
He's turned out to be a really good swimmer and retrieves dummies from a river not far from us. We'll try and post some photos for you to take a look at in the future.
good luck with your 'viewing'
Speak soon,
D&J

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts