Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We have our puppy now, well since December actually. So she is 5 months old now, and so adorable! She is generally good, and sometimes gets into a crazy mood where she runs all over the place, she is walked every day and eats well!

We have one problem, she jumps on everyone, including my 9 year old son, and we cant get her to stop. Does anyone have any guidance on how we can control this behaviour?

Here are some pics of Isabella :)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi i read in a puppy book only have your guests greet the dog when it's 4 feet are on the ground. Haven't tried it myself.
BTW I stayed in Stellenbosch a few yrs back it was fab
L xx

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
We have the same problem with jumping. Ours jumps at humans and bigger dogs but not at smaller ones. I think they just try to match the height. I read somewhere they will grow out of it.

We have used a garden hose and spray around him. It works in the yard.
Outside, during walks we lightly and repeatedly tug on the leash just before he jumps. It works in most cases.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Dogs that jump are usually just trying to get closer to your face. :)

Just turn away from the pup when it jumps. Walk away if necessary. Do not make any noises (ie: screams), as this will ramp up the puppy (this is especially true with a child+puppy combination, IMO). You can also try leaning into the dog's space if you think it's about to jump. Not lean over, but lean into.

I also know someone that taught her dog to spin, and now tells her to spin whenever she meets people. Gives her something to do other than jump, and I think it's harder to get into a jump out of a spin, as opposed to out of a sit. It's cute!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts