Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting because I've heard some varied opinions on the importance of preventative heartworm medication. Our breeder warned us about vets' tendency to over-medicate/vaccinate dogs and I'm wondering how many of you give your Vs heartworm medication, or have heard dissenting opinions about it. I guess the prevalence of heartworm also depends on the region you're in, and I'm under the impression that it's actually very rare up in my neck of the woods (Toronto), so I'm on the fence about whether I should start Luna on the monthly dose.

Any insight would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Our dogs have always had the heartworm chewies.
It's actually cheap insurance in my opinion.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Heartworms are transmitted by mosquitos and here in Texas it is a very real danger. The monthly Heartguard plus chew takes care of not only heartworms but also round worms and hook worms.

My dogs will never be without it. The treatment for heartworms is very costly and dangerous for your dog. I have heard about the concerns regarding over vaccinating, but I don't put this into the same category.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree, Heartworm preventative is a must. While the disease does tend to be more of a deadly problem in the warmer climates, it, like Lyme disease, is showing it's face in the North as well. My vet carries the generic brand, which saves a bit.
After many years working as a vet tech, I have seen how sad Heartworm can be, and feel totally comfortable with the monthly medication.

·
Registered
416 Posts
grahama said:
Have never head of it in the UK, are we warm enough here for it if mosquitos carry the disease??
Do you get many mosquitos? I can honestly say I have never seen a mosquito here in my life, do you get them and where in the UK do you live?

I haven't heard of the disease either - I think it isn't common or even present in the UK maybe because of the lack of mosquitos. But we do get a lot of midges.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts