Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondered if anybody else has come across this 'oddity'.

I work in the construction industry and often come home with cuts and grazes (par for the coarse) on my hands mainly.

What we have noticed is when I've have cleaned the cuts our viz (Brook) will come close for some affection and will instantly

find the open wound and very gently start to lick the wound. This can go on for some minutes, it's really quite a strange phenomenon.

The weird thing about all this is that I've found that it heals really quickly and soothes the wound almost instantly. My query is, do the dogs have

some sport o natural antiseptic make up in their saliva ? Like i said a little bit strange this one, anybody else out there come across this?

D&J

·
Registered
794 Posts
Most all of our dogs, past & present, will lick a wound. I grew up hearing that dog saliva has healing/antiseptic qualities, and I believe there are some studies to support this along with personal experiences; however, it is not something I allow. For me/family, the risks outweigh the benefits. Dogs also carry a lot of bacteria in their mouths (we all know what/where their mouths go as well ;D). We probably have some exposure, hence immunity, to the bacteria/flora in our dog's mouth by living with them, but deep or large wounds should never be licked IMO. I'd rather use soap & water, and eliminate the risk of a pasturella infection. This would be especially true in someone with another health condition like diabetes. That's just me though. It is sweet how dogs can sense & smell an area they are compelled to care for in us humans. I'm always amazed by instincts! Be careful on the job :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kellygh,

Your probably right with regards to the infection side of things, but what a great attribute in the Animal/breed
to want to show care for its owner. Point taken on bacteria side, may be safer to go back to antiseptic cream.
Or just pay more attention 'on the job'!!!

Regards

D&J

1 - 3 of 3 Posts