Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peanut (currently just under 4 months old) hates it when we put his harness on.

He liked the first harness for maybe two days, then started resisting when we put it on. Then he actually chewed through it so we upgraded the harness.

With the new one, we proceeded very slowly, giving him plenty of time to familiarise himself with the harness, aided by lots of rewards and encouragement. The new harness however needs to go over his head (there's no lock or buckle), so he tries to bite it every single time. Obviously, the harness ends up partly in his mouth instead of over his head.

Any tips on how to change/improve the situation or encourage him to love it more hugely appreciated.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Some things in a child's life are not optional. LOL

Just put it on him. You display zero reaction to his antics and resistance.

Initially, put it on him just to put it on him... though, ensure you IMMEDIATELY doing something really fun to him, the moment you complete buckling him in. Also, put it on him every time he goes out to go potty... with FUN involved.

It won't be long, every time you pick up that harness he'll happily greet it because fun is coming!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
if the issue is the putting things over the pups had and no other discomfort (some harnesses can rub their delicate skin on areas where there is thin layer of coat only, so watch out for those signs) then you just need to teach the puppy that things coming that way on him are actually very positive. take a slip lead, make the opening wide, put it out it front of the head and have a high value treat in the other head. once he starts getting closer to the treat just give it thru the loop and big time praise. continue until you can put the slip lead on while he is focused on the treat and has a chance remaining motivated. then you can transition to the harness. it may take several sessions.
I start putting show slip leads /collars on puppies at very young age regardless of whether they will be shown or not. I do the same with clothing pieces regardless of whether they will ever wear any coat or not. I also use rubber gloves to take out the puppy coat and do it even later on (I use a lint roller after our off leash walks in the summer so it helps building up the love for that, but it can be helpful also when a vet needs to use something like an ultrasound device on them). u can never know and better for your pup to learn that these things are ok. hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Are you just beginning to introduce him to the harness, or has he worn one since puppyhood and is now just resisting?
Get it on him and just go get him engaged in play, and let him wear it for a good bit of time. He'll get used to it.

I never really used a harness much with all of my other V's, maybe for some lessons and when I needed more control. With Finn it was a daily ritual with the harness and a coat. I'm really glad I kept up with it with him. Now, as derwos pointed out, he sees the harness come off the hook on the porch and he goes bananas.
He doesn't use it much any longer, at almost 3 years, old, but he remembers the associations.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you just beginning to introduce him to the harness, or has he worn one since puppyhood and is now just resisting?
Get it on him and just go get him engaged in play, and let him wear it for a good bit of time. He'll get used to it.

I never really used a harness much with all of my other V's, maybe for some lessons and when I needed more control. With Finn it was a daily ritual with the harness and a coat. I'm really glad I kept up with it with him. Now, as derwos pointed out, he sees the harness come off the hook on the porch and he goes bananas.
He doesn't use it much any longer, at almost 3 years, old, but he remembers the associations.
He's worn it since he was allowed out after the vaccinations, so maybe 3 weeks ago or so.

He's never been a fan, but has recently started resisting it more. He still hasn't associated it with fun times, I guess, so hopefully with enough rewards and encouragement, he'll make the connection soon.

I've only recently finally taught him that a leash is not an excuse for him to bite me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Oscar was in a harness from when he was allowed out after vaccinations.
Tried 3 different recommended brands, all of them we found rubbed him or didn’t fit properly, (despite harness fitting service).
Finally found Ezydog which he accepted (no rubbing) and wore until recently (now just collar and lead).
Oscar used to run and hide at walkies time 😟
Now he loves it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Our 13.5w V just think the collar/jumper is a toy and game. Are you sure is resistance and not just trying to play with it?

Soon as collar or jumper are on, she completely ignores them. The lead is another story, thoguh she still thinks its a game she always wants to hold it, only thing better is a stick. We no seem to be gaining a small pile by the front door (she doesnt chew either, just likes to hold)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts